Two masses connected by strings on an incline

In summary, the problem is about finding the tension in two strings supporting two blocks on a frictionless incline. The answer to Part A is T1 = 30.2 N. The equations used include F=ma, Fx = max, Fy = may, and w = mg. The attempt at a solution involved splitting the tension of string 1 into its vector x and y components, but this did not lead to the correct answer. The recommendation is to draw a free body diagram and include all the forces on each mass.
David Mordigal
This is a problem from my physics homework. I copied the diagram below as best I could from the text. It's not the best rendering but you'll get the idea.

1. Homework Statement

Two blocks are at rest on a frictionless incline, as shown in the figure.
xLdW8Sg.png

Part A. What is the tension in the string number 1 if m1 = 9.0kg and m2 = 3.9kg?
Part B. What is the tension in the string number 2 if m1 = 9.0kg and m2 = 3.9kg?

The answer to Part A is: T1 = 30.2 N, which I don't understand.

Homework Equations

So far, I know the following:
F = ma
Fx = max
Fy = may
w = wy = mg = 9.0kg * 9.8 m/s2 = 88.2 N

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried splitting the tension of string 1 into its vector x and y components, but that wasn't getting me to the right answer. I am not quite sure where to start or how they got that answer, 30.2 N (part A). Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Ty = mg = 88.2 N
T = Ty/sin(20) = 257.9 N

Physics news on Phys.org
PP3.png
Hi David welcome to PF.
I suggest you to choose your co-ordinate axis as shown in figure.
After drawing free body diagrams of m1 can you find T1?

It does work to have the axes so gravity points in the -y direction ... but, as Satvik suggests, the maths is way easier if you point the x-axis along the slope. The reason you are having trouble is probably because you have not included all the forces on each mass ...

The first step is always to draw a free body diagram - make it a habit.
Please tell us what forces you put on it and where they point.

1. What is the purpose of studying two masses connected by strings on an incline?

Studying two masses connected by strings on an incline is important in understanding the concept of forces and motion. It allows us to analyze the relationship between the masses, the angle of the incline, and the forces acting on the system.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of the masses in this system?

The acceleration of the masses can be calculated using Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the net force can be determined by considering the weight of the masses and the tension in the strings.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and the acceleration of the masses?

The angle of the incline affects the acceleration of the masses by changing the magnitude of the component of the weight that acts parallel to the incline. As the angle increases, the component of the weight parallel to the incline also increases, resulting in a larger net force and a greater acceleration.

4. Can you determine the tension in the strings connecting the masses?

Yes, the tension in the strings can be calculated using the equations for Newton's second law and the component of the weight parallel to the incline. The tension will be equal in both strings as they are connected and experience the same forces.

5. How does the friction between the masses and the incline affect the system?

The friction between the masses and the incline will act in the opposite direction of the motion and will decrease the acceleration of the masses. It can also cause the masses to move at a constant velocity if the friction force is equal to the parallel component of the weight.