1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two objects accelerate from rest with the acceleration of Object A twi

1. May 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two objects accelerate from rest with the acceleration of Object A twice that of Object B. After accelerating for a given time, Object A will have travelled how many times the distance of Object B?

3. The attempt at a solution

How can I find out mathematically? I know that acceleration is directly proportional to velocity so I was wondering if Object A's acceleration is twice that of Object B then shouldn't the displacement also be twice as much?

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2013 #2
    Acceleration is not proportional to velocity. You should review the definitions.

4. May 26, 2013 #3
    But isnt a = v/t?

5. May 26, 2013 #4
    Why wouldn't you just have a look at the definition of acceleration?

6. May 26, 2013 #5
    Well the definition is the rate of change of velocity. How fast velocity changes.

7. May 26, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, but that only says it will be travelling twice as fast after time t. What equation do you have relating distance, acceleration, time, and initial velocity (that's valid for constant acceleration)?

8. May 26, 2013 #7
    Do you know how that (rate of change of something) is expressed mathematically?

9. May 27, 2013 #8
    velocity

see you first try to calculate the distance traveled by them.Then simply take the ratio of the distance traveled to get how much times one has traveled than the other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted