Two objects travelling on a parallel plane

In summary, a student in grade 12 is struggling with a physics question about two planes flying over parallel paths with different initial speeds and accelerations. They are trying to find the final velocity of either plane after traveling the same distance. Some confusion arises over the concept of parallel planes and the fact that planes do not accelerate. Eventually, it is suggested to use the kinematics equation for distance as a function of uniform acceleration and initial velocity to solve the problem. Another student provides a different approach using the equation v_f ^ 2 = v_i ^ 2 + 2ad to find the final velocity of both planes.
AaronL
Hi, I'm new to this forum, I am currently in grade 12 and I'm desperately (like a lot of other students this year) trying to get a good start this year. My physics teacher assigned us a question that I don't quite understand:

Two planes are flying over parallel paths. Plane A has an initial speed of 50.0m/s and is accelerating uniformly. Plane B has an initial speed of 120 m/s and an acceleration of 60% of Plane A. If both planes have the samem velocity after traveling the same distance, what is the final velocity of either plane.

This question has been bugging me for some time and I need help solving it. my physics is a bit rusty, considering it's been about a year since I last did anything physics related (yikes). If I could get some assistance with this question it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you remember the basic kinematics equation for distance as a function of uniform acceleration and initial velocity ?

This makes no sense. You started by titling this "Two objects traveling on a parallel plane" but apparently you then came to your senses and realized that you were talking about two parallel planes. Unfortunately, you then said "Plane A has an initial speed of 50.0m/s and is accelerating uniformly. Plane B has an initial speed of 120 m/s and an acceleration of 60% of Plane A".

Planes do not accelerate! I am willing to accept that object B accelerates at 60% the acceleration of object A where B and A are objects moving in parallel planes! If A accelerates at "a m/s2", then B accelerates at "0.60a m/s2". You should be able to find the velocity and position of both A and B from
v(t)= v0+ at and
x(t)= x0+ v0t+ (a/2)t2.

HallsofIvy said:
Planes do not accelerate! I am willing to accept that object B accelerates at 60% the acceleration of object A where B and A are objects moving in parallel planes!

i think a plane ( the aircraft ) is an object...

OHHH! (banging head against computer screen)

AIRPLANES!

(You do understand how the phrase "parallel planes" could confuse someone who confuses easily!)

That's the funniest thing I've seen on PF in a while. Cheers HoI!

Oh yeah, should try and help rather than just laugh at people's misfortune.

You need to start by solving t in a simultaneous equation for v = v0 + at for both A and B (i.e. v0A + aAt = v0B + 0.6aAt). Once you've got t you should know where to go next.

You're always welcome to laugh at me- I do it all the time!

so can anyone work out the answer and post it here! i tried it but I am not sure if I am right

nop i havnt got it didnt work, i must be dumb "grade 12" what age people is it for? I am 17 is it something i should worry about not being able to do a question like this being a phys and maths student?
reading what u sed i did this

50 + At = 120 + 0.6At - this is saying both their final velocity is the same right?
rearanged to
0.4At = 70
then
At = 70/0.4
but how do u find t from that?!
u got 2 unknown terms so i need another equation to sub into this?
i think its better using the equation : root(u^2 + 2as) = root(u^2 + 2as)
then could u cancel the distance? from both sides or not cause there's an addition in the equation not just multiples.

Last edited:
ive never seen this x(t)= x0+ v0t+ (a/2)t2. equation before seen one similar x(t)=v0t +(a/2)t2.
where did the initial distance come into it.

alias25 said:
50 + At = 120 + 0.6At - this is saying both their final velocity is the same right?
rearanged to
0.4At = 70
then
At = 70/0.4
but how do u find t from that?!
you don't need to know t. You know At and that's enough (v=v0+At)

HallsofIvy said:
You're always welcome to laugh at me- I do it all the time!

Funniest thing in physics I've EVER seen... but i won't laugh at you... i'd have done the same thing... i just came to MY senses :rolleyes: instead of telling him to come to his :P Planes do NOT accelerate... except in the case of aircraft

alias25 said:
nop i havnt got it didnt work, i must be dumb "grade 12" what age people is it for? I am 17 is it something i should worry about not being able to do a question like this being a phys and maths student?
reading what u sed i did this

rearanged to
0.4At = 70...
Nope. This is not correct.
If you set up an equation like that, you are assuming that two planes have the same final velocity after a specific amount of time, which is not correct.
The problem states that two planes have the same velocity after traveling the same distance. And you don't know how long the distance is.

You know their initial velocity, know that a_2 = 0.6 a_1, d_1 = d_2, and the final velocity of the two planes are the same after traveling the same distance.

So you can use the equation: [tex]v_f ^ 2 = v_i ^ 2 + 2ad[/tex] to solve the problem.
Let v_f be both planes' final velocity.
Let d be the distance both planes travel, ie : d = d_1 = d_2
You will have:
[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{l}v_f ^ 2 = v_1 ^ 2 + 2a_1 d (1) \\ v_f ^ 2 = v_2 ^ 2 + 2 \times a_2 \times d_2 = v_2 ^ 2 + 2 \times 0.6 \times a_1 \times d = 1.2a_1 d (2) \end{array} \right.[/tex]

Where v_1 is the plane A's initial velocity, v_2 is the plane B's initial velocity. a_1 is the plane A's acceleration, a_2 is the plane B's acceleration.

From the two equations, you will be able to find the final velocity of both planes. First, try to subtract (2) from (1).
Viet Dao,

1. How do you determine the distance between two objects travelling on a parallel plane?

The distance between two objects travelling on a parallel plane can be determined by using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (the line connecting the two objects) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. By measuring the distance between the two objects and the angle of elevation or depression, you can use trigonometry to calculate the distance between the objects.

2. Can two objects travelling on a parallel plane ever intersect?

No, two objects travelling on a parallel plane will never intersect. This is because parallel lines, by definition, never meet. Even if the objects are moving at different speeds or in different directions, as long as they are travelling on parallel planes, they will never intersect.

3. What happens when two objects travelling on a parallel plane have different velocities?

When two objects travelling on a parallel plane have different velocities, they will move along their respective paths at different speeds. This means that the distance between the objects will constantly change, but they will always remain on parallel planes and never intersect.

4. Can the distance between two objects travelling on a parallel plane ever be negative?

No, the distance between two objects travelling on a parallel plane will always be a positive value. This is because distance is a measure of how far apart two objects are, and it cannot be negative. Even if the two objects are moving in opposite directions, the distance between them will be positive.

5. How does the angle of elevation or depression affect the distance between two objects travelling on a parallel plane?

The angle of elevation or depression will affect the distance between two objects travelling on a parallel plane because it will change the angle at which the two objects are viewed. This will impact the calculations used to determine the distance between the objects, as well as the perceived distance between them. However, as long as the objects remain on parallel planes, the distance between them will not change.