Two parallel lines with current

In summary, two long parallel wires separated by 0.2 meters and carrying currents of 3 and 5 amps have a magnetic field that is tangent to a circle around wire 1 and points to the right at wire 2. This results in a force on wire 2 that is equal and opposite to the force on wire 1, according to Newton's third law. Using the Lorentz force equation, the direction of the force on wire 2 can be determined to be into the page. The field from wire 1 spirals away from it and towards wire 2, causing a resultant in the negative k direction.
carrotcake10

Homework Statement

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/3157/lines.gif

Two long parallel wires are separated by 0.2 meters and carry currents of 3 and 5 amps as shown in the figure. What can we say about the force on wire #2?

There is no force on wire #2

The force on wire #2 is towards wire #1

The force on wire #2 is away from wire #1

The force on wire #2 is into the page

The force on #2 is out of the page

There is no force on #2 but there is a torque.

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that wire #2 has a stronger force on it, but I don't quite know what direction it would be in. Trying to use the right hand rule, i believe it is in the -k direction, but am unsure. I just for some reason don't feel entirely confident.

Any help is gratefully appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You must look at the diagram sideways, with the two currents coming right toward your eye. IF it is conventional positive current, use the right hand rule around wire 1 to see which way the magnetic field circles around the wire (counterclockwise). Draw or imagine a series of circular B lines around wire 1, including one that touches wire 2. B is tangent to the circle so it is to the right at I2, which is located below I1. Use the other right hand rule to determine the direction of the force when I is out, B to the right.

The force on wire 2 has to be equal and opposite to the force on wire 1 by Newton's 3rd Law.

carrotcake10 said:
I believe that wire #2 has a stronger force on it, but I don't quite know what direction it would be in. Trying to use the right hand rule, i believe it is in the -k direction, but am unsure. I just for some reason don't feel entirely confident.

Any help is gratefully appreciated!

Leaving aside that Newtons Laws of action reaction might have something to say about that. that's not a choice.

How would you apply the Lorentz force equation?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magfor.html#c1

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magcur.html#c1

Both of you thank you for your replies. Delphi, I hadn't though of looking at it that way, but is that just to make it seem easier? I don't really get lost with directions in my head.

Lowly, using a combination of those two links (good info btw), I feel like r = +i, and B = +k, which would cross into -j. Is that right? Am I grasping this concept ok? From the first link, I understand that the field is going into wire 2 from the direction of my wrapped fingers.

Edit: I just figured that since the field from wire 1 would actually come down on top of wire two, causing a resultant in the negative k direction. Would this be right? Does the field spiral away from wire 1?

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of two parallel lines with current?

The concept of two parallel lines with current refers to the scenario where two wires carrying electrical current are arranged parallel to each other. This can occur in a circuit or any other electrical system where current is flowing through multiple wires.

2. How does the presence of two parallel lines with current affect the flow of electricity?

The presence of two parallel lines with current can create a magnetic field that can interact with the flow of electricity. This can result in the wires experiencing a repulsive or attractive force, depending on the direction of the current in each wire.

3. Can two parallel lines with current cancel each other out?

No, two parallel lines with current cannot cancel each other out. This is because the magnetic fields created by the currents will always interact with each other, resulting in some type of force or effect.

4. What factors can influence the strength of the magnetic field created by two parallel lines with current?

The strength of the magnetic field created by two parallel lines with current can be influenced by the distance between the wires, the amount of current flowing through each wire, and the geometry of the wires (such as their shape and position relative to each other).

5. Are there any practical applications of two parallel lines with current?

Yes, there are several practical applications of two parallel lines with current, such as in transformers, motors, and generators. These devices utilize the interaction between magnetic fields created by parallel lines with current to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy or vice versa.