1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two parallel wires in plane. determine B field as f(x)

1. Jul 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let two long parallel wires, a distance d apart, carry equal currents I in the same direction. One wire is a x=0 and the other is a x=d. Determine B along the x axis between the wires as a function of X.

Repeat problem if wire at x=0 is 2I and in the opposed direction.

2. Relevant equations

Answer key = u/2pi * I [(d-2x)/(x(d-x))]

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand the physics, but I am unsure how to arrive at that final answer. I do not understand determining the point along the x axis with those variables. Can someone please help me with the deriving?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Start with Ampere's Law, and do the vector addition. You are familiar with Ampere's Law and the Right-Hand Rule, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampère's_law

4. Jul 30, 2009 #3
    thanks for the reply. I know Amperes and vector, and maybe I'm not thinking this through properly. I know the direction of the magnetic fields. But how do you come up with a formula that is based on a variable "x" that could be any distance between the two currents?

5. Jul 30, 2009 #4

berkeman

Write the expression for the B-field for a single wire, as a function of the distance away from the wire (and with a vector direction from the RH Rule). Then stick the 2nd wire in there, and combine the two equations. With 2 wires and the currents going the same way, is the B-field halfway between them zero or twice what each wire makes on its own?

6. Jul 30, 2009 #5
    I know the expression is B=u/2pi * I/r ----- It is r that I have the problem with. How do you know r when it can vary from between 0 and d. where d is the max.

7. Jul 30, 2009 #6

berkeman

Exclude r=0 because of the infinity it introduces. For all r>0, the solution is straightforward, no?

8. Jul 30, 2009 #7
    Unfortunately no.

For the equation with just one wire i have:

B=u/2pi*I/x

for the second wire it would be

B=u/2pi*I/d-x

Even if this is right, I am not sure where to go next.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook