Two parallel wires in plane. determine B field as f(x)

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the magnetic field (B) along the x-axis between two long parallel wires carrying equal currents (I) in the same direction, with one wire located at x=0 and the other at x=d. The homework equations provided include the answer key of u/2pi * I [(d-2x)/(x(d-x))], as well as the expression for the B-field for a single wire, B=u/2pi * I/r. The conversation also mentions using Ampere's Law and the Right-Hand Rule to determine the direction of the magnetic fields. The conversation ends with the person asking for help on how to account for the variable distance (x) between the two wires in the final formula
cleverfield

Homework Statement

Let two long parallel wires, a distance d apart, carry equal currents I in the same direction. One wire is a x=0 and the other is a x=d. Determine B along the x-axis between the wires as a function of X.

Repeat problem if wire at x=0 is 2I and in the opposed direction.

Homework Equations

Answer key = u/2pi * I [(d-2x)/(x(d-x))]

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the physics, but I am unsure how to arrive at that final answer. I do not understand determining the point along the x-axis with those variables. Can someone please help me with the deriving?

Physics news on Phys.org
cleverfield said:

Homework Statement

Let two long parallel wires, a distance d apart, carry equal currents I in the same direction. One wire is a x=0 and the other is a x=d. Determine B along the x-axis between the wires as a function of X.

Repeat problem if wire at x=0 is 2I and in the opposed direction.

Homework Equations

Answer key = u/2pi * I [(d-2x)/(x(d-x))]

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the physics, but I am unsure how to arrive at that final answer. I do not understand determining the point along the x-axis with those variables. Can someone please help me with the deriving?

Start with Ampere's Law, and do the vector addition. You are familiar with Ampere's Law and the Right-Hand Rule, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampère's_law

thanks for the reply. I know Amperes and vector, and maybe I'm not thinking this through properly. I know the direction of the magnetic fields. But how do you come up with a formula that is based on a variable "x" that could be any distance between the two currents?

cleverfield said:
thanks for the reply. I know Amperes and vector, and maybe I'm not thinking this through properly. I know the direction of the magnetic fields. But how do you come up with a formula that is based on a variable "x" that could be any distance between the two currents?

Write the expression for the B-field for a single wire, as a function of the distance away from the wire (and with a vector direction from the RH Rule). Then stick the 2nd wire in there, and combine the two equations. With 2 wires and the currents going the same way, is the B-field halfway between them zero or twice what each wire makes on its own?

I know the expression is B=u/2pi * I/r ----- It is r that I have the problem with. How do you know r when it can vary from between 0 and d. where d is the max.

cleverfield said:
I know the expression is B=u/2pi * I/r ----- It is r that I have the problem with. How do you know r when it can vary from between 0 and d. where d is the max.

Exclude r=0 because of the infinity it introduces. For all r>0, the solution is straightforward, no?

Unfortunately no.

For the equation with just one wire i have:

B=u/2pi*I/xfor the second wire it would be

B=u/2pi*I/d-xEven if this is right, I am not sure where to go next.

1. How do two parallel wires in a plane affect the magnetic field?

The magnetic field created by two parallel wires in a plane will depend on the distance between the wires and the current flowing through them. The magnetic field will be stronger between the wires and weaker further away from them.

2. How can I determine the direction of the magnetic field produced by the two parallel wires?

The right-hand rule can be used to determine the direction of the magnetic field. Point your thumb in the direction of the current in one wire and your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What is the equation for calculating the magnetic field produced by two parallel wires in a plane?

The equation for calculating the magnetic field is B = (μ0 * I) / (2π * r), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wire, and r is the distance between the wires.

4. How does the distance between the parallel wires affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field is inversely proportional to the distance between the wires. This means that as the distance between the wires increases, the strength of the magnetic field decreases.

5. Can the magnetic field produced by two parallel wires be negative?

No, the magnetic field produced by two parallel wires will always be positive. The direction of the magnetic field may change depending on the direction of the current, but the magnitude will always be positive.