Two people in a boat and one person throws a ball

• Thread starter Soniteflash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Boat
In summary, when the person at the front of the boat throws the ball to the person at the back of the boat, the boat moves forward. When the person at the back catches the ball, the boat either continues moving forward or does not move at all, depending on the force applied by the person catching the ball. This is due to Newton's Third Law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this case, the force exerted by the person catching the ball on the boat is equal and opposite to the force exerted by the boat on the person. The conservation law that applies to this scenario is conservation of momentum. This means that the total momentum of the boat, occupants, and ball
Soniteflash
1. Two people sit at opposite ends of a boat. Ther person at the front of the boat has a ball and throws it to the person sitting at the back of the boat who catches it.

What is the motion of the boat at the time immediaately after the ball is thrown and later after the ball is caught ?

Answer choices.

After Throw After the Catch
(A) Boat moves foward. Boat moves foward.
(B) Boat moves foward Boat moves backward.
(C) Boat moves foward. Boat does not move.
(D) Boat moves backwards Boat does not move.
(E) Boat moves backwards Boat moves foward.

2. Newton Third Law.

3. I honestly don't know. What i would say is that that the boat moves foward. After that I am just confused. What actually happens when the person at the back catches the ball? Doesnt he exert a force that us equal and opposite in direction?

I used my phone and the spacing is messed up. After the throw and Ablfter the Catch should be seperated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Soniteflash said:
What actually happens when the person at the back catches the ball? Doesnt he exert a force that us equal and opposite in direction?

What does Newton's Third Law say?

Likes Soniteflash
How about a conservation law instead?

Likes Soniteflash
haruspex said:
How about a conservation law instead?

Yes, that is probably a better way to approach the problem.

Likes Soniteflash
If object one exerts a force on object two, then object 2 exerts a force on object one that is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

Conservation Law? What is being conserved here?

Soniteflash said:
Conservation Law? What is being conserved here?
What external forces act on the boat+occupants+ball system?

Hmm, would the only external force be the force from throwing the ball?.

Soniteflash said:
Hmm, would the only external force be the force from throwing the ball?.
How is that external to the system?

haruspex said:
How is that external to the system?
Ok. Let me rethink. That would be an internal force then. I think that there is no external force acting on the boat+occupants+ ball system then.

Soniteflash said:
Ok. Let me rethink. That would be an internal force then. I think that there is no external force acting on the boat+occupants+ ball system then.
Well, no external horizontal force, which is all we need.
So what conservation laws apply?

Likes mooncrater
Conservation law. Are you speaking of conservation of kinetic energy?
Sorry I feel kinda dumb at the moment...

Soniteflash said:
Conservation law. Are you speaking of conservation of kinetic energy?
Sorry I feel kinda dumb at the moment...
Not that one. Two others to choose from...

Likes Soniteflash
haruspex said:
Not that one. Two others to choose from...
Uhm conservation of momentum maybe?

Likes AlephNumbers
Well for every action there is an opposite reaction...

Soniteflash said:
Uhm conservation of momentum maybe?
Yes. Apply that to the before throw and after throw conditions.

J-Fly said:
Well for every action there is an opposite reaction...
Yes, and conservation of momentum can be derived from that, but for the present problem it's more convenient to invoke the conservation law itself.

What is the concept of "Two people in a boat and one person throws a ball"?

The concept refers to a problem often used in physics and mathematics, where two people are in a boat and one person throws a ball to the other. This scenario is used to explore concepts such as velocity, acceleration, and projectile motion.

What is the purpose of using this scenario in scientific studies?

This scenario is used to illustrate and test various principles and equations in physics and mathematics. It allows scientists to apply real-life situations to theoretical concepts and make predictions based on those concepts.

Does this scenario have any practical applications?

Yes, this scenario has practical applications in fields such as sports, engineering, and transportation. It can help in understanding the trajectory of a thrown object, the impact of wind or other external factors, and the efficiency of a system.

What are some factors that can affect the outcome of this scenario?

The outcome can be affected by the initial velocity and angle of the throw, the mass and shape of the ball, air resistance, and the motion of the boat. Other factors such as wind speed and direction can also have an impact.

How is this scenario related to the laws of motion?

This scenario relates to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the first and second laws. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by a net force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.