1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two problems involving rotational movement

1. Oct 31, 2007 #1
    1. First Problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A disc with mass of 50kg and radius of 20cm is rotating with a frequency of 480rpm, and after 50 seconds, as a result of the force of friction, it stops. What's the moment (momentum of force, torque) if during the rotation the disc made 200 rotations?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]M=I\epsilon[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]R=0,2m; m=50kg; f=480min^{-1}=8Hz; t=50s; N=200;[/tex]
    [tex]w_0=\frac{2\pi}{1/8}=16\pi rad/s[/tex]
    [tex]w = 0rad/s[/tex]
    [tex]\epsilon=\frac{w-w_o}{t}=\frac{-16\pi}{50}rad/s[/tex]
    [tex]I=0.5mR^2=1[/tex]

[tex]M=I\epsilon=-1.21924Nm[/tex]

Is this correct? I can't see where to number of total rotations (angular distance) fits in, or maybe it's a distractor?

2. Second problem

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    А rope is wrapped around a horizontal cylinder with [tex]M=17kg; R=0,1m[/tex]. A bob with [tex]m=5kg[/tex] is attached at the end of the rope, at height of [tex]h=4m[/tex] above ground. The momentum of inertia of the cylinder is calculated with [tex]I=\frac{MR^2}{2}[/tex].

a) what's the speed of the bob when it hits ground?
    b) calculate the total energy of the system.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've solved b) pretty easily,
    [tex]E=mgh=192,2J[/tex] which conforms to the solution in the book (so, the potential energy of the cylinder is ignored).

I've tried solving a) this way
    [tex]mgh=\frac{mv^2}{2}+\frac{I\omega^2}{2}[/tex]
    If the liner velocity of the cylinder is equal to the speed of the bob at any given time, then we can substitute [tex]\omega=\frac{v}{R}[/tex]
    [tex]\vdots[/tex]
    Is this approach correct? I don't get the same solution with the one given in the book.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2007 #2

Problem 1 seems fine.

Kinetic energy of the cylinder should be [tex]\frac{I\omega^2}{2}[/tex] and not [tex]\frac{M\omega^2}{2}[/tex], ain't it?

4. Nov 1, 2007 #3
    Yes, it was a mistype :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?