Two problems involving rotational movement

In summary, the bob hits the ground at a speed of 9.8 m/s. The kinetic energy of the system is 192 J.
dzogi
1. First Problem

Homework Statement

A disc with mass of 50kg and radius of 20cm is rotating with a frequency of 480rpm, and after 50 seconds, as a result of the force of friction, it stops. What's the moment (momentum of force, torque) if during the rotation the disc made 200 rotations?

Homework Equations

[tex]M=I\epsilon[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]R=0,2m; m=50kg; f=480min^{-1}=8Hz; t=50s; N=200;[/tex]
[tex]w_0=\frac{2\pi}{1/8}=16\pi rad/s[/tex]
[tex]w = 0rad/s[/tex]
[tex]\epsilon=\frac{w-w_o}{t}=\frac{-16\pi}{50}rad/s[/tex]
[tex]I=0.5mR^2=1[/tex]

[tex]M=I\epsilon=-1.21924Nm[/tex]

Is this correct? I can't see where to number of total rotations (angular distance) fits in, or maybe it's a distractor?

2. Second problem

Homework Statement

А rope is wrapped around a horizontal cylinder with [tex]M=17kg; R=0,1m[/tex]. A bob with [tex]m=5kg[/tex] is attached at the end of the rope, at height of [tex]h=4m[/tex] above ground. The momentum of inertia of the cylinder is calculated with [tex]I=\frac{MR^2}{2}[/tex].

a) what's the speed of the bob when it hits ground?
b) calculate the total energy of the system.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved b) pretty easily,
[tex]E=mgh=192,2J[/tex] which conforms to the solution in the book (so, the potential energy of the cylinder is ignored).

I've tried solving a) this way
[tex]mgh=\frac{mv^2}{2}+\frac{I\omega^2}{2}[/tex]
If the liner velocity of the cylinder is equal to the speed of the bob at any given time, then we can substitute [tex]\omega=\frac{v}{R}[/tex]
[tex]\vdots[/tex]
Is this approach correct? I don't get the same solution with the one given in the book.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dzogi said:

I've tried solving a) this way
[tex]mgh=\frac{mv^2}{2}+\frac{M\omega^2}{2}[/tex]
If the liner velocity of the cylinder is equal to the speed of the bob at any given time, then we can substitute [tex]\omega=\frac{v}{R}[/tex]
[tex]\vdots[/tex]
Is this approach correct? I don't get the same solution with the one given in the book.

Problem 1 seems fine.

Kinetic energy of the cylinder should be [tex]\frac{I\omega^2}{2}[/tex] and not [tex]\frac{M\omega^2}{2}[/tex], ain't it?

Yes, it was a mistype :)

What is rotational movement?

Rotational movement, also known as angular movement, is the movement of an object around an axis or a fixed point. It can be described by the change in orientation or position of an object as it rotates.

What is the difference between linear and rotational movement?

Linear movement refers to the motion of an object in a straight line, while rotational movement involves the motion of an object around an axis or a fixed point. Linear movement can be described by distance and displacement, while rotational movement is characterized by angle and angular displacement.

What are some real-life examples of rotational movement?

Some common real-life examples of rotational movement include the rotation of the Earth around its axis, the rotation of a wheel on an axle, and the rotation of a ceiling fan. Other examples include the rotation of a merry-go-round, the spinning of a top, and the rotation of a propeller.

What are the two problems involving rotational movement?

The two main problems involving rotational movement are rotational kinematics and rotational dynamics. Rotational kinematics deals with the description of rotational motion, including angular velocity, angular acceleration, and angular displacement. Rotational dynamics, on the other hand, focuses on the causes of rotational motion, such as torque, moment of inertia, and angular momentum.

How is rotational movement important in everyday life?

Rotational movement is essential in everyday life as it allows us to perform many tasks, such as opening a door, driving a car, and using a pencil to write. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of many machines, including engines, gears, and turbines. Additionally, rotational movement is essential in sports, such as throwing a ball or swinging a golf club.