Two problems while reading Feynman lectures (vector field))

In summary, Feynman explains that the curl of the gradient of a scalar function is always zero. This is because the mixed partial derivatives of the scalar function are always zero.
Proust
Question 1:

solved!

Question 2:

Why it's zero? I think we cannot get zero unless it's an exact differential form?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 469
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I don't know how to explain it better than Feynman, but the curl of the gradient of a scalar function is always zero.

EWH said:
Well, I don't know how to explain it better than Feynman, but the curl of the gradient of a scalar function is always zero.

In fact I just can't understand why we have

A X (AT) = (A X A) T

Why the same form ...

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 400
if i am getting your question right ... you are asking why A X (AT) = (A X A)T = 0
is that right?

I think he's asking why ᐁ X (ᐁT) = (ᐁ X ᐁ)T is of the same form as A X (AT) = (A X A)T.

cupid.callin said:
if i am getting your question right ... you are asking why A X (AT) = (A X A)T = 0
is that right?

Yes! And I'm still confused now!

These kinds of relations are easy when you use the levi-civita tensor instead of vector form.
Unfortunately, I guess tensors shouldn't be included in introductory physics?

Instead, you could write out all the components explicitly, and see that the equality holds.

BruceW said:
These kinds of relations are easy when you use the levi-civita tensor instead of vector form.
Unfortunately, I guess tensors shouldn't be included in introductory physics?

Instead, you could write out all the components explicitly, and see that the equality holds.

All i can understand and tell you is that, if A is a vector and T is some scalar constant then its kind of a basic rule of vectors that A X (AT) = (A X A)T because no matter f you multiply the scalar before of after solving cross product ... answer comes same.

and also [itex]\vec{A} X \vec{B} \ = \ AB \ sin\theta \ \hat{n}[/itex]

where [itex]\theta[/itex] is and b/w [itex]\vec{A} \ \ and \ \ \vec{B}[/itex]

so angle b/w [itex]\vec{A} \ \ and \ \ \vec{A}[/itex] is 0 and sin(0) = 0

thus (A X A)T = 0

i think post#10 explains it very well. just want to add that Feynman was probably trying to make you think of the del operator as just another vector and the scalar field(T) as just a scalar by showing the similarity between the two expressions. The fact that one of the expressions evaluate to zero should then help you guess that maybe the other one is zero too which in turn will help you in proving that it indeed is.And it will also help you remember and have an intuitive understanding of identities like this without having to memorize everything.

Related to Two problems while reading Feynman lectures (vector field))

What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of vector quantities, such as force or velocity, in a given space. It is represented by a set of vectors, each associated with a specific point in the space, indicating the direction and magnitude of the vector quantity at that point.

How can I understand vector fields better while reading Feynman lectures?

One way to better understand vector fields while reading Feynman lectures is to review the fundamental concepts of vector calculus, such as gradient, divergence, and curl, which are used to describe and analyze vector fields. Additionally, it can be helpful to visualize vector fields using diagrams or computer simulations.

What are some common challenges when reading about vector fields in Feynman lectures?

Some common challenges when reading about vector fields in Feynman lectures include understanding the mathematical notation, visualizing the behavior of vector fields in three-dimensional space, and applying vector calculus concepts to solve problems involving vector fields.

What are some real-world applications of vector fields?

Vector fields have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Some examples include describing the flow of fluids, such as air or water, analyzing the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and modeling the motion of objects in space.

Where can I find additional resources to help me understand vector fields in Feynman lectures?

There are many online resources available to help you better understand vector fields in Feynman lectures, including video tutorials, interactive simulations, and practice problems. You can also consult textbooks or seek out a tutor for additional support.