Two Questions (antiderivative and diff eq.)

• Thread starter tod88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diff eq
In summary, The differential equation is dy/dx = xy^2I separated variables and came up with c = -1/y - (x^2)/2I then solved for y and got that y = -1/(1-(x^2)/2)Finally, I had to determine what values of C gave the diff eq. vertical asymptotes. I know this happens when the denominator equals zero, so I said that it is the case when c+(x^2)/2 = 0. This only happens when C = 0 and x = 0.Correct?
tod88

Homework Statement

(i've put my questions in bold)

The differential equation is

dy/dx = xy^2

I separated variables and came up with (solving for c)

c = -1/y - (x^2)/2

I then had to find the particular solution for y(0) = 1, so I came up with

c = -1 - 0 so c = -1

I then solved for y and got that y = -1/(1-(x^2)/2) ... is this the correct answer for the specific solution?

Finally, I had to determine what values of C gave the diff eq. vertical asymptotes. I know this happens when the denominator equals zero, so I said that it is the case when

c+(x^2)/2 = 0. This only happens when C = 0 and x = 0. Correct?

Homework Statement

The second question:

the function G(x) = G(-4) + antiderivative from -4 to x of f(t) dt over the interval
[-4,3]

I have the graph of f, however, so when I take G'(x) I get f(x), correct? What about the G(-2)? That's the part I am not sure of. I'm assuming that it doesn't matter since the interval runs from [-4,3] and the antiderivative from -4 to -4 is simply zero. Is this the right way of looking at it?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
tod88 said:

Homework Statement

(i've put my questions in bold)

The differential equation is

dy/dx = xy^2

I separated variables and came up with (solving for c)

c = -1/y - (x^2)/2

I then had to find the particular solution for y(0) = 1, so I came up with

c = -1 - 0 so c = -1

I then solved for y and got that y = -1/(1-(x^2)/2) ... is this the correct answer for the specific solution?

You can check it youself. Does y satisfy the original differential equation? Does it satisfy y(0)= -1?

Finally, I had to determine what values of C gave the diff eq. vertical asymptotes. I know this happens when the denominator equals zero, so I said that it is the case when

c+(x^2)/2 = 0. This only happens when C = 0 and x = 0. Correct?
Suppose c= -2? What would happen at x= 2 or -2? Are you told to assume that c cannot be negative?

Homework Statement

The second question:

the function G(x) = G(-4) + antiderivative from -4 to x of f(t) dt over the interval
[-4,3]

I have the graph of f, however, so when I take G'(x) I get f(x), correct? What about the G(-2)? That's the part I am not sure of. I'm assuming that it doesn't matter since the interval runs from [-4,3] and the antiderivative from -4 to -4 is simply zero. Is this the right way of looking at it?

Thanks.
What does "from -4 to -4" have to do with anything" [itex]G(-2)= G(-4)+ \int_{-4}^{-2}f(x)dx[/itex]. But there was no mention of "G(-2)" in the statement of the question. Did you mean G(-4)? In fact, there is no question in the statement of the question! There is simply a definition of the function G(x). What is the question? To find the derivative of G? If so, then G(-4) is a constant and the derivative of a constant is 0.

Thanks very much for your help. I apologize if some of the questions were dumb / elementary...but I've figured out how I was thinking wrongly about the problem.

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative, also known as an indefinite integral, is the inverse operation of differentiation. It is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function.

2. How do you find the antiderivative of a function?

To find the antiderivative of a function, you need to use integration techniques, such as the power rule, substitution, or integration by parts. These techniques involve manipulating the original function in order to find the antiderivative.

3. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that involves one or more derivatives of an unknown function. It is used to model relationships between variables that change continuously over time or space.

4. How do you solve a differential equation?

To solve a differential equation, you need to find the function that satisfies the equation. This can be done by using various techniques, such as separation of variables, substitution, or the method of undetermined coefficients.

5. What is the relationship between antiderivatives and differential equations?

The antiderivative of a function is a solution to its differential equation. In other words, if you have a differential equation and you find its antiderivative, that antiderivative will satisfy the original equation.