1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Questions (antiderivative and diff eq.)

1. Mar 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (i've put my questions in bold)

The differential equation is

dy/dx = xy^2

I separated variables and came up with (solving for c)

c = -1/y - (x^2)/2

I then had to find the particular solution for y(0) = 1, so I came up with

c = -1 - 0 so c = -1

I then solved for y and got that y = -1/(1-(x^2)/2) ... is this the correct answer for the specific solution?

Finally, I had to determine what values of C gave the diff eq. vertical asymptotes. I know this happens when the denominator equals zero, so I said that it is the case when

c+(x^2)/2 = 0. This only happens when C = 0 and x = 0. Correct?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The second question:

the function G(x) = G(-4) + antiderivative from -4 to x of f(t) dt over the interval

I have the graph of f, however, so when I take G'(x) I get f(x), correct? What about the G(-2)? That's the part I am not sure of. I'm assuming that it doesn't matter since the interval runs from [-4,3] and the antiderivative from -4 to -4 is simply zero. Is this the right way of looking at it?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can check it youself. Does y satisfy the original differential equation? Does it satisfy y(0)= -1?

Suppose c= -2? What would happen at x= 2 or -2? Are you told to assume that c cannot be negative?

What does "from -4 to -4" have to do with anything" [itex]G(-2)= G(-4)+ \int_{-4}^{-2}f(x)dx[/itex]. But there was no mention of "G(-2)" in the statement of the question. Did you mean G(-4)? In fact, there is no question in the statement of the question! There is simply a definition of the function G(x). What is the question? To find the derivative of G? If so, then G(-4) is a constant and the derivative of a constant is 0.
  4. Mar 12, 2008 #3
    Thanks very much for your help. I apologize if some of the questions were dumb / elementary...but I've figured out how I was thinking wrongly about the problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?