TWO questions Distance to exp. 120dB AND Depth of Well

• Thread starter FelicitaH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Depth
In summary, an object is dropped from rest into a well. The sound of the splash is heard exactly 1.60 seconds later. Find the depth of the well if the air temperature is 10 degrees Celsius.
FelicitaH
TWO questions! Distance to exp. 120dB AND Depth of Well

I've got two questions here. I've worked on both of them, and now I'm stuck...

1)A stone is dropped from rest into a well. The sound of the splash is heard exactly 1.60 s later. Find the depth of the well if the air temperature is 10.0°C.

So, Vnot=0 m/s, delT=1.6s, a=9.8 m/s, temp=10C, and I figured out the speed of sound in 10C to be 337 m/s, but where do I go from here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2) An outside loudspeaker (considered a small source) emits sound waves with a power output of 100 W.

I've already found the intensity at 12.5m to be .0509W/m^2, and the intensity level in dB at that distance to be 107.1 dB.

The question now asks: At what distance would you exp. the sound at the threshold of pain, 120dB

Work - which I'm not sure is correct -

B=10 log (I/Iref) Iref = 1.0 x 10^-12
so... 120dB = 10 log (I/Iref)
12=log (I/Iref)
10^12=(I/1.0x10^-12)
10^12/1.0x10^-12= I = 1 m

I don't think that's right... Did I use the correct forumla

Physics news on Phys.org
-1- a = 9.8m/s^2, not 9.8m/s. Write the equation for the time from drop to hearing the splash as two parts -- the falling of the stone, plus the time for the sound to make it back up. Show your work and we can offer hints if you aren't getting it right.

-2- How did you find the numbers for 12.5m? You would use the same method to solve for the distance where you have 120dB.

for the second question:

you can calculate the intensity of the sound with [tex] L_{p} = 10 \cdot log \left( \frac {I} {I_{0}} \right)[/tex].

Then use this I to calculate the distance using [tex]I = \frac {P_{source}} {(4\pi r^{2})}[/tex]

Last edited:
So.

1=100/(4*pi*r^2)
4*pi*r^2=100
r^2=100/(4*pi)
r= Sq. root (100/(4*pi) = 2.823 m

You guys have been really helpful and I'm actually understanding the problems more so I did before. I just wish I had found this site earlier in the semester... it probably would have helped my grade -- a lot.
Thanks everyone :)

Related to TWO questions Distance to exp. 120dB AND Depth of Well

What is the distance to experience 120dB?

The distance to experience 120dB can vary depending on the source of the sound. Generally, at a distance of 1 meter, most people will experience 120dB from a loud sound. However, this can decrease significantly with distance.

What factors affect the distance to experience 120dB?

The distance to experience 120dB can be affected by several factors, including the intensity and frequency of the sound, the surrounding environment, and the type of sound source. For example, a high frequency sound may have a shorter distance to experience 120dB compared to a low frequency sound.

How is the depth of a well measured?

The depth of a well is typically measured using a measuring tape or a sonar device. A measuring tape is lowered into the well until it reaches the bottom, and the measurement is taken. A sonar device uses sound waves to determine the depth of the well.

What is the average depth of a well?

The average depth of a well can vary depending on the location and purpose of the well. In general, residential wells can range from 100 to 400 feet deep, while commercial or agricultural wells can reach depths of 1000 feet or more.

How does the depth of a well affect the quality of the water?

The depth of a well can impact the quality of the water it contains. Generally, deeper wells have a lower risk of contamination from surface water and are less susceptible to drought conditions. However, deeper wells may also have higher levels of minerals and other impurities, which can affect the taste and safety of the water.