Setting Up Multiple Routers in an Apartment Network

• Thread starter Tony11235
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Network
In summary: I live in an apartment building where one router is used and every apartment room has its ethernet connection. I'm trying to set up my wireless router in my room. The default ip of the router just has to be different than the other router correct?Your routers can have the same subnet mask.
Tony11235
I live in an apartment building where one router is used and every apartment room has its ethernet connection. I'm trying to set up my wireless router in my room. The default ip of the router just has to be different than the other router correct? Can they have the same subnet mask?

Computer science news on Phys.org
nevermind.

In my apartment, there are actually 5 computers activated with internet connections, divided into 2 or 3 groups, 3-2. or 1-2-2, I am not sure because I am not curious enough :confused:. The other three don't configure anything, just plug-n-play, I guess they are the same as your case.
I don't like chatting, watching TV or visit 'foreign' pages but listen to radio and visit physicsforum. Because Greg's physicsforum is cooler. :smile:
You can have the same subnetmask for your computers like mine, and there is no need for the difference in ip since things still work fine if I am not mistaken. Sorry, I don't want to re-test.

Tony11235 said:
I live in an apartment building where one router is used and every apartment room has its ethernet connection. I'm trying to set up my wireless router in my room. The default ip of the router just has to be different than the other router correct? Can they have the same subnet mask?

By Default IP what do you mean?

Two devices can't have the same IP address (there are special cicumstances that disprove this rule, but yours isn't one of them) on the same "network" if u want them to communicate via IP.

They have to have the same subnet mask or IP won't work properly. The subnet mask is a means for the network application/device to find out if a device is within the same subnet or not. Which is important for end to end communication.

You can have the same subnetmask for your computers like mine, and there is no need for the difference in ip since things still work fine if I am not mistaken. Sorry, I don't want to re-test.
Sorry this doesn't make a whole lot of sence..

IP is just an Addressing scheme, imagine everyone had the same telephone number do u think that would work? No of course not, so for your computer to communicate with another computer over a network you need to have different IP address...

By default ip, i meant the ip that the router is assigned. I had to change the ip of my wireless router because what it was originally assigned would have been the same as the other router which is not in my hands.

Okay, I've lived in a few apartments where this was the case. Let me ask a few questions to better help you. (Unless the problem is fixed).

- Does only your computer work in the ethernet jack (as opposed to a friend's computer, or the router)
- How many people are in your apartment
- Are you able to find wireless signals that other residents have (may be hard to tell)

Kirro said:
Okay, I've lived in a few apartments where this was the case. Let me ask a few questions to better help you. (Unless the problem is fixed).

- Does only your computer work in the ethernet jack (as opposed to a friend's computer, or the router)
- How many people are in your apartment
- Are you able to find wireless signals that other residents have (may be hard to tell)

Oh I fixed the problem a while back ago. Pretty n00bish question. I didn't think about it enough before I asked. I have a private network inside the apartment network setup.

Related to Setting Up Multiple Routers in an Apartment Network

1. How do I connect two routers to one network?

To connect two routers to one network, you will need to connect them using an Ethernet cable. First, connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the LAN port on the first router, and the other end to the WAN port on the second router. Then, connect a device to the second router and configure it to extend the network. This will allow the second router to function as an access point, effectively extending the network coverage.

2. Can I use two routers to increase the speed of my network?

No, using two routers will not increase the speed of your network. The speed of your network is determined by your internet connection and the capabilities of your devices. However, using two routers can help improve network coverage and reduce network congestion, which can indirectly improve the overall speed of your network.

3. Is it possible to use two routers with different IP addresses on the same network?

Yes, it is possible to use two routers with different IP addresses on the same network. This is known as a "dual router" setup and can be useful if you have a large network with multiple subnets or if you want to isolate certain devices or services on different networks.

4. What is the difference between connecting two routers in series vs. parallel?

When connecting two routers, you can do so in series or in parallel. In series, the second router is connected to the first router, essentially creating a chain. In parallel, both routers are connected to the same primary network. The main difference is that in series, the second router will have its own subnet and network range, while in parallel, all devices will be on the same network.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using two routers on one network?

There are a few potential drawbacks to using two routers on one network. One is the added complexity and potential for network configuration issues. Another is the potential for network congestion if both routers are handling a high volume of traffic. Additionally, using two routers may not be necessary for smaller networks and can lead to unnecessary costs for additional equipment.