Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two routers, one network

1. May 13, 2006 #1
    I live in an apartment building where one router is used and every apartment room has its ethernet connection. I'm trying to set up my wireless router in my room. The default ip of the router just has to be different than the other router correct? Can they have the same subnet mask?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2006 #2
    nevermind.

4. May 13, 2006 #3
    In my apartment, there are actually 5 computers activated with internet connections, divided into 2 or 3 groups, 3-2. or 1-2-2, I am not sure because I am not curious enough :confused:. The other three don't configure anything, just plug-n-play, I guess they are the same as your case.
    I don't like chatting, watching TV or visit 'foreign' pages but listen to radio and visit physicsforum. Because Greg's physicsforum is cooler. :smile:
    You can have the same subnetmask for your computers like mine, and there is no need for the difference in ip since things still work fine if I am not mistaken. Sorry, I don't want to re-test.

5. May 14, 2006 #4
    By Default IP what do you mean?

Two devices cant have the same IP address (there are special cicumstances that disprove this rule, but yours isnt one of them) on the same "network" if u want them to communicate via IP.

They have to have the same subnet mask or IP wont work properly. The subnet mask is a means for the network application/device to find out if a device is within the same subnet or not. Which is important for end to end communication.

Sorry this doesnt make a whole lot of sence..

IP is just an Addressing scheme, imagine everyone had the same telephone number do u think that would work? No of course not, so for your computer to communicate with another computer over a network you need to have different IP address...

6. May 14, 2006 #5
    By default ip, i meant the ip that the router is assigned. I had to change the ip of my wireless router because what it was originally assigned would have been the same as the other router which is not in my hands.

7. Jun 29, 2006 #6
    Okay, I've lived in a few apartments where this was the case. Let me ask a few questions to better help you. (Unless the problem is fixed).

- Does only your computer work in the ethernet jack (as opposed to a friend's computer, or the router)
    - How many people are in your apartment
    - Are you able to find wireless signals that other residents have (may be hard to tell)

8. Jun 29, 2006 #7
    Oh I fixed the problem a while back ago. Pretty n00bish question. I didn't think about it enough before I asked. I have a private network inside the apartment network setup.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?