Two satellites in orbit around Jupiter

In summary, the second satellite takes approximately 130 hours to make one revolution around Jupiter, based on Kepler's law and the given equations for orbital velocity and period.
magusxion

Homework Statement

Two satellites are in circular orbits around Jupiter. One, with orbital radius r, makes one revolution every 16 h. The other satellite has orbital radius 4.0r. How long does the second satellite take to make one revolution around Jupiter?

A. 130 hours
B. 120 h
C. 140 h
D. 110 h
E. 90 h

Homework Equations

v = sqrt( GMj / r )

T = (2*pi*r) / v

G = 6.673*10^-11

Mj = 1.90*10^27

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming that this is just an algebra problem at this point, but I'm having trouble finding r.

T = ( 2*pi*r) / sqrt( GMj / r )

r = [(GMjT^2) / (4pi^2)]^(1/3)

When I solve for r and then plug r back into the equation for T I do not get 16, which means I'm not doing something right here.

Do I need to convert the 16 hours / revolution into another unit before solving for r?

Any pointers?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
According to Kepler's law the square of the period varies as the cube of the orbit radius.

[tex] T^2 \propto R^3 [/tex]

This implies that for any given set of orbits around a common central body, that

[tex] \frac{T^2}{R^3} = Constant [/tex]

You should be able to use this fact to determine the "mystery" orbital period.

Thanks, that did help a lot.

It seems like the method I was trying to work through would also work but is much longer.

It also doesn't help that when I do the calculation with either method I still do not get a value the exactly matches one of the answer choices, but is very close to answer A ( which did turn out to be correct ).

1. What are the two satellites orbiting around Jupiter?

The two satellites orbiting around Jupiter are Europa and Io.

2. How long does it take for these satellites to orbit around Jupiter?

Europa takes approximately 3.5 Earth days to complete one orbit around Jupiter, while Io takes 1.8 Earth days.

3. What are the sizes of these satellites compared to Earth?

Europa is slightly smaller than Earth, with a diameter of 3,122 kilometers, while Io is slightly larger with a diameter of 3,643 kilometers.

4. What are the temperatures like on these satellites?

The average temperature on Europa is -160 degrees Celsius, while on Io it is -170 degrees Celsius. However, both satellites experience extreme variations in temperature due to their proximity to Jupiter.

5. Are these satellites habitable for humans?

While there is evidence of possible liquid water on Europa, both satellites are not considered to be habitable for humans due to their harsh conditions and lack of a breathable atmosphere.