• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Two simple problems

• Thread starter Moneer81
  • Start date
1. An astronaut on a strange planet finds that she can jump a maximum horizental distance of 30 m if her initial speed is 9m/s. What is the acceleration of gravity on the planet?

2. A projectile is fired in such a way that its horizental range is equal to three times its maximum height. What is the angle of projection?

thanks

Answers and Replies

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
3. What has Moneer81 done so far?

by the way this is not a HW I am not in school i am just practicing...

well for the first problem I am wondering if it could be done with the little information we have....

the second one is simpler if we substitute x = 3y into the equations of motion and try to get the x and y component of Vo (initial velocity) then the inverse tangent would give us the angle...

anyone has more detailed comments?

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
1. How is the maximal horizontal distance related to initial speed and acceleration due to gravity?

well acceleration due to gravity will have an effect on the vertical distance....not the horizental?

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Moneer81 said:
well acceleration due to gravity will have an effect on the vertical distance....not the horizental?
But when&where the ball hits the ground again depends on the acceleration due to gravity, does it not?

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Do you know the formulas for horizontal and vertical motion with a constant (vertical) acceleration?

yeah yeah you're right....got it :)
i think i was just thinking harder that I had to