Solve These 2 Physics Problems: Acceleration & Angle of Projection

• Thread starter Moneer81
  • Start date
In summary, the first conversation discusses the maximum horizontal distance an astronaut can jump on a strange planet with an initial speed of 9m/s and asks for the acceleration of gravity on the planet. The second conversation involves finding the angle of projection for a projectile fired with a horizontal range equal to three times its maximum height. The third conversation is unrelated and asks about the progress of a person named Moneer81.
Moneer81
1. An astronaut on a strange planet finds that she can jump a maximum horizental distance of 30 m if her initial speed is 9m/s. What is the acceleration of gravity on the planet?

2. A projectile is fired in such a way that its horizental range is equal to three times its maximum height. What is the angle of projection?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
3. What has Moneer81 done so far?

by the way this is not a HW I am not in school i am just practicing...

well for the first problem I am wondering if it could be done with the little information we have...

the second one is simpler if we substitute x = 3y into the equations of motion and try to get the x and y component of Vo (initial velocity) then the inverse tangent would give us the angle...

anyone has more detailed comments?

1. How is the maximal horizontal distance related to initial speed and acceleration due to gravity?

well acceleration due to gravity will have an effect on the vertical distance...not the horizental?

Moneer81 said:
well acceleration due to gravity will have an effect on the vertical distance...not the horizental?
But when&where the ball hits the ground again depends on the acceleration due to gravity, does it not?

Do you know the formulas for horizontal and vertical motion with a constant (vertical) acceleration?

yeah yeah you're right...got it :)
i think i was just thinking harder that I had to

1. What is the formula for acceleration in physics?

The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. How do you find the angle of projection in a physics problem?

The angle of projection can be found using the formula θ = tan^-1 (vy/vx), where θ is the angle of projection, vy is the vertical component of velocity, and vx is the horizontal component of velocity.

3. Can acceleration be negative in a physics problem?

Yes, acceleration can be negative in a physics problem. Negative acceleration, also known as deceleration, occurs when an object is slowing down or changing direction.

4. How do you calculate the acceleration of an object from a velocity-time graph?

The acceleration of an object can be calculated from a velocity-time graph by finding the slope of the line. The slope represents the change in velocity over time, which is equal to acceleration.

5. What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

The average acceleration is the overall acceleration of an object over a certain period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration of an object at a specific moment in time. Instantaneous acceleration can be found by taking the derivative of the velocity-time graph at that point.