1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two simple problems

1. Sep 15, 2005 #1
    1. An astronaut on a strange planet finds that she can jump a maximum horizental distance of 30 m if her initial speed is 9m/s. What is the acceleration of gravity on the planet?

2. A projectile is fired in such a way that its horizental range is equal to three times its maximum height. What is the angle of projection?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

3. What has Moneer81 done so far?

4. Sep 15, 2005 #3
    by the way this is not a HW I am not in school i am just practicing...

well for the first problem I am wondering if it could be done with the little information we have....

the second one is simpler if we substitute x = 3y into the equations of motion and try to get the x and y component of Vo (initial velocity) then the inverse tangent would give us the angle...

anyone has more detailed comments?

5. Sep 15, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

1. How is the maximal horizontal distance related to initial speed and acceleration due to gravity?

6. Sep 15, 2005 #5
    well acceleration due to gravity will have an effect on the vertical distance....not the horizental?

7. Sep 15, 2005 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

But when&where the ball hits the ground again depends on the acceleration due to gravity, does it not?

8. Sep 15, 2005 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you know the formulas for horizontal and vertical motion with a constant (vertical) acceleration?

9. Sep 15, 2005 #8
    yeah yeah you're right....got it :)
    i think i was just thinking harder that I had to

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?