How Does Changing Slit Separation Affect Wavelength in a Two-Slit Experiment?

In summary: So what?You are correct. The wavelength of the light would need to be 494.8 nm in order to keep the position of the second order maximum the same, but increase the slit separation to 63 X 10-3 cm in an optical two-slit experiment.
conniechiwa

Homework Statement

An optical two-slit experiment is setup with its slits separated by 40 X 10-3 cm and produces a second order maximum at an angle of 0.09 degrees. What would the wavelength of the light need to be if we kept the position of the second order maximum the same, but increased the slit separation of 63 X 10-3 cm?

Homework Equations

wsinϑ=mλ

The Attempt at a Solution

630000nm*sin0.09=2λ
λ=494.8nm

I'm almost positive that this is right, but the system won't accept my answer. Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you. Does the system want it in any other units?

Two things occur to me:

1. Do they mean the final slit separation is 63 X 10-3 cm, or is that amount to be added to the original 40 X 10-3 cm?

2. Perhaps they are expecting an answer rounded to the nearest 1 nm?

It asks for the answer in nm. I tried adding the final slit separation to the original and it didn't work either.

"63 X 10-3 cm" is a rather odd way to express a number or distance, since it's not proper scientific notation. You might double-check that this is actually what they say in the problem statement.

Proper scientific notation would be (for example)
6.3 x 10-2 cm.

Yeah it says 63 X 10-3 cm. I copied and pasted the question.

conniechiwa said:
but increased the slit separation of 63 X 10-3 cm?
That highlighted word doesn't seem correct. Is it "to" or "by", by any chance?

No, it's "of".

Is this from a textbook?

It's online homework. Maybe it's glitched.

the equation you are looking for is;
sin[tex]\theta[/tex]=n[tex]\lambda[/tex]/2d

[tex]\lambda[/tex]=(2d)sin[tex]\theta[/tex]/n

"two-slit experiment is setup with its slits separated by 40 X 10-3 cm"
--this being two-slit means it is 2d

Mrharlin said:
the equation you are looking for is;
sin[tex]\theta[/tex]=n[tex]\lambda[/tex]/2d

[tex]\lambda[/tex]=(2d)sin[tex]\theta[/tex]/n

"two-slit experiment is setup with its slits separated by 40 X 10-3 cm"
--this being two-slit means it is 2d
:confused: All you've done is taken the standard formula and renamed the slit separation 2d instead of the usual d.

What is two slit interference?

Two slit interference is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves passing through two closely spaced parallel slits interfere with each other, resulting in a pattern of alternating bright and dark fringes on a screen.

How does two slit interference occur?

When light waves pass through the two slits, they diffract and overlap with each other. This results in constructive and destructive interference, where the waves either amplify or cancel each other out, creating the interference pattern.

What factors affect the interference pattern in two slit interference?

The interference pattern is affected by the wavelength of the light, the distance between the two slits, and the distance between the slits and the screen. These factors determine the spacing and intensity of the interference pattern.

Can two slit interference occur with other types of waves?

Yes, two slit interference can occur with any type of wave, including sound waves, water waves, and even electron waves. However, the spacing and intensity of the interference pattern may differ depending on the properties of the specific wave.

What is the significance of two slit interference?

Two slit interference is significant because it demonstrates the wave nature of light and other types of waves. It also has practical applications in fields such as optics, acoustics, and quantum mechanics.