What Happens to the Speed and Proximity of Two Charged Metal Spheres in Motion?

In summary, the problem involves two small metal spheres, one stationary with a charge of -2.60 \mu C and the other with a charge of -7.70 \mu C and a mass of 1.40 g, moving towards the first sphere with a speed of 22.0 \rm m/s. The question asks for the speed of the second sphere when they are 0.450 m apart, and how close the second sphere gets to the first. Using the equation for conservation of energy and the formula for electrical potential energy, the attempted solution involved calculating the electrical potential energy between the two spheres. However, there may be an error in the calculation.
Digdug12

Homework Statement

A small metal sphere, carrying a net charge of q_1 = -2.60 \mu C, is held in a stationary position by insulating supports. A second small metal sphere, with a net charge of q_2 = -7.70 \mu C and mass 1.40 g, is projected toward q_{1}. When the two spheres are 0.800 \rm m apart, q_{2} is moving toward q_{1} with speed 22.0 \rm m/s . Assume that the two spheres can be treated as point charges. You can ignore the force of gravity.
What is the speed of q_{2} when the spheres are 0.450 m apart
?How close does q_{2} get to q_{1}?

Homework Equations

Ka+Ua=Kb+Ub
U=qv
V=k(q1/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured this was a simple conservation of energy problem, so i began it at such.
.5m2Vi^2 + q2Va = .5m2Vf^2 + q2Vb

after simplifying it all down i got:
sqrt((m2vi^2 + q2(Va-Vb))/m2) = Vf

I calculated Va to be -29233V and Vb to be -51952V. I am not sure what i did wrong here.
to calculate V i used q1, the charge of motionless sphere, since V is independent of the observer charge. For the r i used the distance from the moving sphere to sphere, and i used both values. when multiplying (Va-Vb) by q i used the q value of the moving sphere. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the electrical potential energy between two point charges?

Your approach of using conservation of energy is correct. However, you have made a mistake in calculating the initial and final potential energies. The potential energy formula, U=qV, should be used to calculate the potential energy of each sphere, not the velocity. Additionally, you need to use the distance between the two spheres at each position, not just the distance from the moving sphere to the stationary one. The correct formula to use is V=k(q1/r1 + q2/r2), where r1 is the distance between the stationary sphere and the point where you want to calculate potential energy, and r2 is the distance between the moving sphere and the same point. Once you have the correct values for potential energy, you can proceed with your conservation of energy equation. Remember to use the correct units for all quantities.

To answer the first question, the speed of q2 when the spheres are 0.450 m apart can be calculated using the same equation you used, but with the new values for potential energy and the new distance between the spheres.

For the second question, you can use the equation for the minimum distance between two point charges, r = q1q2/4πε0(Ka+Kb), where Ka and Kb are the initial and final kinetic energies, respectively. Again, make sure to use the correct units for all quantities.

1. What are two small metal spheres?

Two small metal spheres are small, spherical objects made of metal material. They are typically solid and can be of various sizes and weights.

2. What are the properties of two small metal spheres?

The properties of two small metal spheres include their size, weight, density, and material composition. These spheres are also conductive and may have magnetic properties depending on the type of metal used.

3. How are two small metal spheres used in scientific experiments?

Two small metal spheres are commonly used in scientific experiments to study the behavior of static electricity and electric fields. They can also be used to demonstrate the principles of electrostatics and capacitance.

4. How do two small metal spheres differ from other types of spheres?

Two small metal spheres differ from other types of spheres in their material composition and properties. Unlike rubber or plastic spheres, they are conductive and can be used in experiments involving electricity and magnetism.

5. Can two small metal spheres be used in real-world applications?

Yes, two small metal spheres can be used in various real-world applications such as lightning protection, electrostatic coating processes, and in electronic devices such as capacitors and transistors.