1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two small metal spheres

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A small metal sphere, carrying a net charge of q_1 = -2.60 \mu C, is held in a stationary position by insulating supports. A second small metal sphere, with a net charge of q_2 = -7.70 \mu C and mass 1.40 g, is projected toward q_{1}. When the two spheres are 0.800 \rm m apart, q_{2} is moving toward q_{1} with speed 22.0 \rm m/s . Assume that the two spheres can be treated as point charges. You can ignore the force of gravity.
    What is the speed of q_{2} when the spheres are 0.450 m apart
    ?How close does q_{2} get to q_{1}?

2. Relevant equations
    Ka+Ua=Kb+Ub
    U=qv
    V=k(q1/r)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I figured this was a simple conservation of energy problem, so i began it at such.
    .5m2Vi^2 + q2Va = .5m2Vf^2 + q2Vb

after simplifying it all down i got:
    sqrt((m2vi^2 + q2(Va-Vb))/m2) = Vf

I calculated Va to be -29233V and Vb to be -51952V. Im not sure what i did wrong here.
    to calculate V i used q1, the charge of motionless sphere, since V is independent of the observer charge. For the r i used the distance from the moving sphere to sphere, and i used both values. when multiplying (Va-Vb) by q i used the q value of the moving sphere. Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What's the electrical potential energy between two point charges?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook