Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Universities in China succeeded in quantum teleportation

1. Jun 8, 2010 #1
    Recently ,it is reported that University of science and technology of China and Tsinghua University together have succeeded in conducting quantum teleportation between the distance of 16km.Are quantum information prospectinve? And how long it will be applied as commonly as the present one ?
    http://news.ustc.edu.cn/?article=00023439&

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Do you have links to these reports?

4. Jun 8, 2010 #3

turbo

Gold Member

5. Jun 8, 2010 #4
    I understand this to mean that they are actually claming to be transmitting information instantaneously from one place to another. But isn't that contrary to Special Relativity? I don't see how just because a pair of particles are correlated because they share a common source (entangled) is going to allow instantaneous information transfer. As I understand it the particle properties you read at one end is of a random nature and you can not force what the measurement will be. So you cannot force what the measurement will be on the other side. And so you cannot communicate this way. The best you can obtain is the knowledge that the two particles are correlated after you compare notes after all the measuring is done.

6. Jun 9, 2010 #5

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What they've done is just a free-space implementation of something that has done using optical fibres for a long time (the first experiment were done nearly 15 years ago). It is an impressive technical feat, but there is no new physics.

And no, you can not use this technique to transmit information FTL. But techniques/methods related to this could be useful for e.g. quantum cryptography etc..

7. Jun 9, 2010 #6
  8. Jun 9, 2010 #7
    We can translate, thank you wengsee.

F95toli: They are not claiming to have used non-classical means for the communication, are they?!

9. Jun 9, 2010 #8

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Depends on what you mean by "non-classical". It is quantum communication after all.
    But they are not claiming that they are doing something that does not agree with conventional (and well understood) QM if that is what you mean.

10. Jun 9, 2010 #9
    That's what I mean, thanks. :)

11. Jun 9, 2010 #10

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think people should read the actual paper, if they can. As f95toli has said, there isn't much new physics in this. They are just doing this over free space over a longer distance than before (read the references). So they're extending such quantum teleportation up to 16 km via free space, rather than fiber optics.

This is was the first such experiment, it would have been in Nature, not in Nature Photonics.

Zz.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook