Two voltmeters in parallel measure these different voltages

In summary, the conversation is about a circuit with two oscilloscopes measuring different voltages in a N-turn coil. The explanation involves the induction E field being non-conservative and the wires being physically laid out in a way that causes an EMF in the opposite direction to one turn of the coil. This is known as Professor Walter Lewin's paradox and can be understood by watching his video on the topic.
Granger

Homework Statement

I'm currently studying induction law and circuits with inductors. I came however with the following circuit:

[1]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/ghaiE.png
ghaiE.png

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

Now my text says the following:

"Unlike what your intuition might tell you, oscilloscopes 1 and 2 will measure different voltages. For a N-turn coil you will get

$$u' = N\frac{d\phi}{dt}$$
$$u'' = (N-1)\frac{d\phi}{dt}$$
"

How is that possible? I'm having trouble on understanding why this results are obtained. I understand (I think) that the oscilloscopes will measure different values because the induction E field is non conservative. But I don't understand their computation. How does the left side sees one coil less than the right side?

Attachments

• ghaiE.png
    ghaiE.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 559
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I might be wrong, but if the wires are physically laid out as the circuit diagram shows, then the wires connecting up to ##u''## form a loop in the opposite direction around the coil, thus inducing an EMF in those wires which is in the opposite direction to one turn of the coil.

Likes Charles Link
Granger said:
Unlike what your intuition might tell you, oscilloscopes 1 and 2 will measure different voltages. For a N-turn coil
I have two words for you... "Z-Lead Probes" :smile:

(Oh, and that should be "For an N-turn coil"...

http://i.stack.imgur.com/cbLXI.png

cbLXI.png

Attachments

• cbLXI.png
    cbLXI.png
    97.6 KB · Views: 539
Likes gneill
berkeman said:
I have two words for you... "Z-Lead Probes" :smile:

(Oh, and that should be "For an N-turn coil"...

http://i.stack.imgur.com/cbLXI.png

View attachment 233070
@berkeman With the OP's sketch, the problem is not the leads.(It is because EMF's are being generated depending on how the wires are routed). This is a very good example of Professor Walter Lewin's paradox. Please see the video in post 52 of the "link" that I posted. Professor Walter Lewin explains it completely in his video.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of using two voltmeters in parallel?

The purpose of using two voltmeters in parallel is to measure different voltages simultaneously. This allows for more efficient data collection and comparison between two different electrical components or circuits.

2. How does measuring voltage in parallel differ from measuring voltage in series?

Measuring voltage in parallel involves connecting the positive and negative terminals of the voltmeters to the corresponding terminals of the electrical components or circuits. In contrast, measuring voltage in series involves connecting the voltmeter in a loop with the electrical components or circuits, with the voltmeter acting as a part of the circuit itself.

3. Can two voltmeters in parallel measure the same voltage?

Yes, two voltmeters in parallel can measure the same voltage if they are connected to the same electrical component or circuit. This can be useful for verifying the accuracy of the measurements or for conducting experiments with different parameters.

4. Are there any risks associated with using two voltmeters in parallel?

There is a risk of overloading the electrical circuit if the voltmeters have a low resistance and the voltage being measured is high. This can cause damage to the voltmeters and the circuit. It is important to ensure that the voltmeters have a high enough resistance to handle the voltage being measured.

5. Can two voltmeters in parallel be used to measure AC and DC voltages?

Yes, two voltmeters in parallel can be used to measure both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) voltages. However, it is important to use voltmeters specifically designed for the type of voltage being measured to ensure accurate readings.