Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Type 2 Projectiles TEST TOMMOROW

1. Nov 2, 2006 #1
    okay i know how do do type one and type 3 projectiles but there is this certain kind of type 2 that i can't figure out. if the problem gives me a initial velocity and an angle of 30 degrees i am okay. BUT for this kind i don't know what to do:

"A gymnast becomes a projectile by doing a flip that gives here a horizontal range of 1.80 neters. If she took off at an angle of 60.0 degrees, determine:
    1. initial velocity
    2. the maximum height that she attains

PLEASE HELP ME
    i have a test tommorow and gotta figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.

incase your wondering i know a few formulas like y =x tan(theta) - gx^2/ 2vi^2cos^2 (theta), also vf^2=vi^2 +2ax, and all the derivitives, I just don't have any clue on how to do this one.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  4. Nov 2, 2006 #3
    i don't know what voy and vox means, i guess i haven't learned that yet, so how can i do it without knowledge of that.

5. Nov 2, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

If you set up an xy coordinate system, then Vox = Vo * cos(theta), and Voy = Vo * sin(theta) are the components of the initial velocity Vo along the x and y axis, respectively.

6. Nov 2, 2006 #5
    oh i figured it out one my own. I competely forgot about the formula:
    Range = Vi^2 sin2(theta)/g

Well thanks for trying to help me i appreciate it. Now that i got this one of the mods can delete this thread.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook