1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Type 2 Projectiles TEST TOMMOROW

1. Nov 2, 2006 #1
    okay i know how do do type one and type 3 projectiles but there is this certain kind of type 2 that i can't figure out. if the problem gives me a initial velocity and an angle of 30 degrees i am okay. BUT for this kind i don't know what to do:

"A gymnast becomes a projectile by doing a flip that gives here a horizontal range of 1.80 neters. If she took off at an angle of 60.0 degrees, determine:
    1. initial velocity
    2. the maximum height that she attains

i have a test tommorow and gotta figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.

incase your wondering i know a few formulas like y =x tan(theta) - gx^2/ 2vi^2cos^2 (theta), also vf^2=vi^2 +2ax, and all the derivitives, I just don't have any clue on how to do this one.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

4. Nov 2, 2006 #3
    i don't know what voy and vox means, i guess i haven't learned that yet, so how can i do it without knowledge of that.
  5. Nov 2, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

If you set up an xy coordinate system, then Vox = Vo * cos(theta), and Voy = Vo * sin(theta) are the components of the initial velocity Vo along the x and y axis, respectively.
  6. Nov 2, 2006 #5
    oh i figured it out one my own. I competely forgot about the formula:
    Range = Vi^2 sin2(theta)/g

Well thanks for trying to help me i appreciate it. Now that i got this one of the mods can delete this thread.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?