1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Type of waves used in cell phone comm?

1. Jul 23, 2011 #1
    I have received conflicting information from the internet regaurding cell phone/mobile phone communication. Some articles site radio waves and others microwaves and still others mix the two when trying to explain the signals used by cell phones/mobile phones? What am I missing?

I did some experiments involving older cell phones and the newer I-phones. A wire mesh can clearly block some of the older cell phones ability to receive a signal but the I-phones seem immune. My experiments, which basically involved wrapping phones in wire mesh and calling them, prove what? are my observations faulty?

Finally I read that blue tooth technology uses radio vs. IR? But then the article explained how IR was used in "cell phones" so I got confused even further?

Help. As I type this, I am using a laptop, what type of waves is it receiving and sending. WiFi are classified as?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2011 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook