1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

U-substitution integration help

1. Nov 29, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\int cos(1/2)x = 2sin(x/2) + c[/tex] ==> Correct Answer

This is an answer to one of my homework problems, but I don't understand why the indefinite integtral of cos(1/2)x is that. I've learned u-substitution and the power rule, but using those methods, I got:

2. The attempt at a solution

[tex] u = .5x, du = .5dx \int cos(u)du = sin(u)+c = sin(.5x)+c[/tex] (wrong answer?)
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

You made a mistake while substituting. [tex]du = \frac{1}{2}dx[/tex] implies [tex]dx = 2 du[/tex].
  4. Nov 29, 2006 #3
    [tex]\int cos(1/2)x = 2sin(x/2) + c[/tex]

Yeah I'm confused. The integrand is equal to

2/sqrt(2)*x so the integral is equal to (1/sqrt(2))x^2 + C
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  5. Nov 29, 2006 #4
    Let [tex] u = \frac{1}{2}x [/tex]. Then [tex] du = \frac{1}{2} dx [/tex].

So you have: [tex]2 \int \cos u \; du [/tex]
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  6. Nov 29, 2006 #5

Homework Helper

What is there to be confused about? And where did you get these 'sqrt-s' from? As said before, you only have to substitute dx = 2 du and u = 1/2 x into the original integral, in order to obtain [tex]\int 2 \cos u du[/tex], which I assume you'll know how to handle.
  7. Nov 29, 2006 #6
    I think I got the right answer:

[tex]\int cos(1/2)x dx = 2 \int cos(.5x)(.5) + c = 2sin(.5x) + c[/tex]

But I don't understand how you got that.
  8. Nov 29, 2006 #7

Homework Helper

OK, again: [tex]\int \cos(\frac{1}{2}x)[/tex] = after substituting = [tex]\int 2 \cos u du = 2 \sin u + C = 2 \sin (\frac{1}{2}x) + C[/tex] .
  9. Nov 29, 2006 #8
    Thank you , radou. I understand it now.

Nevermind what I said in post #6; I just realize that nealh149 was talking about another problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?