UART vs SSI:10Mbps Baud Rate Comparison

In summary, when considering UART and SSI transmission of data at a Baud rate of 10Mbps, the Baud rate is the rate of transmission and is calculated as 1/(the time to send one 1 bit). However, different serial protocols may have different overheads, such as start and stop bits, which can result in a lower overall data rate. In general, a synchronous system is faster than an asynchronous system, but this can vary depending on other factors.
sandy.bridge
Consider both UART and SSI transmission of data at a Baud rate of 10Mbps. Are they at equal speeds as an entirety, or is one faster than the other? I understand that the Baud rate is the rate of transmission, however, once the bits have been transmitted they undergo further steps to be processed (shift register, FIFO, etc). Not really homework, but it has to do with my microcontroller course and I am not sure where else to find the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Baud rate" = 1/(the time to send one 1 bit) . However different serial protocols have different overheads so that the long term data rate is usually lower. For example the asynchronous (UART) protocol requires start and stop bits to "frame" the data.

Generally if all else is equal then a synchronous system is faster overall. not sure if this is the best tutorial but I'm in a rush..

http://www.sangoma.com/tutorials/sync_n_async/

1. What is UART and SSI?

UART (Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter) and SSI (Synchronous Serial Interface) are two different communication protocols used for transmitting and receiving data between electronic devices.

2. What is the difference between UART and SSI?

The main difference between UART and SSI is their method of data transfer. UART uses asynchronous communication, where the data is transmitted in individual bytes with start and stop bits, while SSI uses synchronous communication, where the data is transmitted in a continuous stream without start and stop bits.

3. Which is faster, UART or SSI?

SSI is generally considered to be faster than UART because it uses synchronous communication and can achieve higher data transfer rates. However, the actual speed depends on various factors such as the hardware and software implementation, baud rate, and clock frequency.

4. What is the maximum baud rate for UART and SSI?

The maximum baud rate for UART is typically around 115200 bits per second (bps), while SSI can achieve much higher baud rates, with some devices supporting up to 10Mbps (10 million bps). However, the maximum baud rate may vary depending on the specific device and its capabilities.

5. When should I use UART and when should I use SSI?

UART is commonly used for simple communication between two devices, such as transmitting serial data from a microcontroller to a computer. SSI is more suitable for high-speed data transfer and is often used in applications such as digital signal processing and sensor data acquisition.