1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UC Berkeley EE Grad School ?

1. Sep 19, 2007 #1
    UC Berkeley EE Grad School!!?

I was going to apply to UC Berkeley's graduate school of electrical enginering, but when I went on their website and looked up the type of research they are doing over there, I was surprised to find out that they are barely doing any RF/microwave or optics research. Here are list of general research they are doing over there:

Artificial Intelligence (AI)
    Biosystems (BIO)
    Communications & Networking (COMNET)
    Computer Architecture & Engineering (ARC)
    Control, Intelligent Systems, and Robotics (CIR)
    Database Management Systems (DBMS)
    Design of Electronic Systems (DES)
    Education (EDUC)
    Energy (ENE)
    Graphics and Human-Computer Interaction (GHCI)
    Integrated Circuits (INC)
    Operating Systems & Networking (OSNT)
    Physical Electronics (PHY)
    Programming Systems (PS)
    Scientific Computing (SCI)
    Security (SEC)
    Signal Processing (SP)
    Theory (THY)

See what I mean! There is not even a slight mention of microwave/millimeter wave research! You don't see any optics research either!!

Is it worth applying to Berkeley if my real interest in microwave engineering??
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, I know nothing about EE, but you should note that not every faculty can research into every specific sub-field in a subject! If you don't see the field on the website, and do not see any professors listing it in their research interests, then its probably safe to say that you will be better off elsewhere.
  4. Sep 19, 2007 #3
    There is definitely interesting optics research going on at Berkeley, even if it's not well publicized on their website. For example, they were among the first to demonstrate sub-diffraction-limited optical imaging. (N. Fang, H. Lee, C. Sun, and X. Zhang, “Sub-diffraction-limited optical imaging with a silver superlens,” Science, vol. 308, no. 5721, pp. 534–537, April 2005. http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/science.1108759)
  5. Sep 20, 2007 #4
    So any final thoughts? Microwave Engineering Research at Berkeley: Thumbs Up of Thumbs Down?
  6. Sep 21, 2007 #5
    I personally am not that familiar with microwave engineering, but the places that come to my mind for microwave engineering are MIT, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. (Disclaimer: I am a PhD candidate in electrical engineering at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.)
  7. Sep 21, 2007 #6
    do you guys work on making microwaved food taste better?
  8. Sep 24, 2007 #7
    Thanks las3rjock. I checked out those universities and it seems that there is some good Rf/microwave engineering going on over there.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?