Ug physics self study alongwith engineering .

In summary, the person is a student from India who was unable to find a suitable undergraduate physics program and is now studying engineering. They plan to self-study and take the GRE after 4 years, focusing on theoretical physics. They have a list of standard books for both physics and math subjects and are wondering if it is possible to complete the study of these books in 3 years at a rate of 3 to 4 hours a day. They are also concerned about being a good student in engineering and whether it is practical to do both degrees at once. There is some overlap between engineering and physics courses, and the person is advised to focus on getting good grades in engineering and then study physics later on. The person's plan is possible
metalrose
Ug physics self study alongwith engineering...please help...!

I belong to india, and couldn't get a decent physics ug course for reasons i don't have time to explain. I have now ended up in an engineering course and plan to self study and take the gre after 4 years. And yeah, forgot to say, my interest lies purely in theoretical physics and no other subdivision of physics.

I have bought standard books for almost all courses in ug physics and ug math as well.

Is it possible to complete ug physics withing 3 years if i can devote at most 3 hours a day to my physics and math study? The engineering course is hopeless and i won't be getting any help in either phy. Or math from there.

I am listing the books i have. Please don't suggest any new ones as I'm not going to buy them and would like to stick to the following:

Physics:

Apart from halliday, resnick,

intro. To mechanics - kleppner and kloenkow
electrodynamics - d.j.griffiths
quantum mech. - griffiths + s. Gasiorowicz
heat and thermo - zeemansky and dittman
statistical mech. - kerson huang
classical mech. (hamiltonian and lagrangian) - h. Glodstein
string theory - b. Zwiebach

maths:

Calculus - tom m. Apostol (both volumes) + michael spivak
principles of mathematical analysis - walter rudin
linear algebra - anton and rorres
real and complex analysis - walter rudin
numerical analysis - attkinson
modern algebra - i.n. Herstein

is it possible to complete the study of the above books in 3 years at a rate of 3 to max. 4 hours a day? If not i could leave a few math topics...but roughly is it possible??

Also, is it possible to be a pretty good student of engineering too, since my gpa will matter in grad. Admissions in u.s.

I know that "everything is possible" and that it all depends on me, but i mean, is it practically possible, without getting yourself completely burned out??

Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org

metalrose said:
And yeah, forgot to say, my interest lies purely in theoretical physics and no other subdivision of physics.

Theoretical physics isn't really a subdivision at all. Theory is an approach, not a subject.

metalrose said:
string theory - b. Zwiebach

I haven't used that intro to mechanics book myself, but the others are all good. I wouldn't give a string theory book any level of priority, focus on everything else - particularly the mathematics.

metalrose said:
is it possible to complete the study of the above books in 3 years at a rate of 3 to max. 4 hours a day? If not i could leave a few math topics...but roughly is it possible??

Also, is it possible to be a pretty good student of engineering too, since my gpa will matter in grad. Admissions in u.s.

It doesn't seem like you would listen if you were told it's a bad idea. This is obviously something you want to try. Math is very important, make sure you learn a lot of that first and it should help the physics come easier. And, you're essentially asking if it's possible to do two degrees at once? I guess technically it could be, it depends seriously on the demands you're given in the engineering classes. Make sure you get good grades in this first and foremost. At the end of the day, engineering is what's going to end up on your transcript. If you end up having to work as an engineer somewhere before traveling somewhere else to study physics, then you want to be prepared.

I think your plan is a little flawed.

You have not considered the common knowledge between Engineering (e.g.EE) & Physics.
And depending on your selection of engineering course, you might even go into more Physics (e.g. Solid State Physics for EE).

For example, Electrodynamics is similar to EE's Electromagnetics.
As for the math. , most of the topics in the books you mentioned are needed for Engineering (not always at the same depth).

If you go for something like Semiconductor Physics will have some good exposure to Solid State Physics and some applied Quantum Mechanics.

If you would like to continue with your engineering field for grad. school, the important factor would be the GPA and research experience, so focus on these and once you are admitted, you can study all the physics you want.

It could also be possible to attend Physics courses at your university if they are offered and don't clash with your other lectures.

You don't typically need to the read these books from cover to cover, I think it is good to look at what other universities are teaching, you can have a look at MIT for example:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/

Your plan is 'roughly' possible, but I would doubt that it will have no effect on your engineering courses (I don't think that you are considering human factors, e.g. if you get to a boring topic/chapter which can stall you, bare in mind that reading such books requires a lot of patience, sometimes it takes a whole a hour to read a page and do the derivations etc...).

I understand your passion and interest in theoretical physics and your determination to pursue it despite the challenges you face. I commend you for taking the initiative to self-study and prepare for the GRE after 4 years. It shows your dedication and drive towards your goals.

Regarding your question about completing the study of the listed books in 3 years, it is definitely possible. However, it will require a lot of discipline, time management, and dedication. It may be challenging to balance your engineering coursework and self-study for physics and math, but it is not impossible. I would suggest creating a study schedule and sticking to it consistently to make the most out of the limited time you have. Also, make sure to prioritize your studies and focus on the topics that are most important for your goals.

In addition, I would recommend seeking guidance from professors or online resources for any difficult concepts you may encounter. It is also important to practice regularly and test your understanding through problem-solving. As for being a good student in your engineering course, it is definitely possible if you manage your time effectively and prioritize your studies accordingly.

In the end, it all comes down to your determination and perseverance. With your passion and hard work, I have no doubt that you can achieve your goals and excel in both your engineering course and self-study of physics. Wishing you all the best in your academic journey.

Related to Ug physics self study alongwith engineering .

1. What is the difference between "Ug physics self study" and "engineering"?

The main difference between "Ug physics self study" and "engineering" is their focus and scope. Ug physics self study typically refers to self-directed study of physics concepts and principles at the undergraduate level, while engineering involves the application of these principles to design and build practical solutions to real-world problems.

2. Can I study Ug physics and engineering simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to study both Ug physics and engineering simultaneously. However, it may require a lot of dedication and time management skills as both fields require a significant amount of coursework and hands-on projects.

3. What are some recommended resources for self-studying Ug physics?

Some recommended resources for self-studying Ug physics include textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problems and exercises, and joining study groups or forums to discuss and clarify concepts.

4. How is self-studying Ug physics beneficial for engineering students?

Studying Ug physics can provide a strong foundation for engineering students as it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, understand fundamental principles and theories, and gain practical knowledge that can be applied to engineering projects.

5. Can self-studying Ug physics substitute for taking formal courses in college?

While self-studying Ug physics can be a valuable supplement to formal courses, it may not be a complete substitute. Formal courses typically provide hands-on laboratory experience, access to specialized equipment, and guidance from experienced instructors, which may not be easily replicated through self-study.