Top MSc Physics Programs in UK for Condensed Matter: Oxford vs. Durham?

In summary, the University of Cambridge is the best university in the UK for MSc Physics. It offers Part III, which is a course that covers theoretical and mathematical physics. It is followed by Oxford and Imperial College London.
radhikak
Which are the top 10 univs in the U.K. offering MSc Physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure everyone would come up with a different list of 10. You might want to start with the Russell group, although that's more than 10:

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/

Here's my top 10, just to start an argument :-)

* University of Birmingham
* University of Bristol
* University of Cambridge
* University of Edinburgh
* University of Glasgow
* Imperial College London
* University of Manchester
* University of Oxford
* University of Southampton
* University College London

mal4mac said:
I'm sure everyone would come up with a different list of 10. You might want to start with the Russell group, although that's more than 10:

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/

Here's my top 10, just to start an argument :-)

* University of Birmingham
* University of Bristol
* University of Cambridge
* University of Glasgow
* University of Oxford
* University of Southampton

Ooo :)

From my own research:

* University of Cambridge (Part III I believe it is in the tripos)
* University of Oxford
* University of Leeds
* St Andrews University
* University of Durham
* Lancaster University

Plenty of other goods ones, though, such as Warwick, Sheffield, Heriot-Watt, Strathclyde.

Depends what type of Physics you're interested in, but to my knowledge Part III and the Imperial MSc are the best for theoretical/Mathematical physics, with Durham also having a good Stringy/HEP Theory Masters.

Whats the Oxford Masters like? I've never heard of it

h0dgey84bc said:
Depends what type of Physics you're interested in, but to my knowledge Part III and the Imperial MSc are the best for theoretical/Mathematical physics, with Durham also having a good Stringy/HEP Theory Masters.

Whats the Oxford Masters like? I've never heard of it

Condensed matter physics.

Yeah, I've heard Durham is good for HEP, I believe they've just built a pretty good particle accelerator in an old coal mine.

1. What universities in the UK offer MSc Physics?

Some of the top universities in the UK that offer MSc Physics include the University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, Imperial College London, University of Manchester, and University of Edinburgh.

2. What are the admission requirements for MSc Physics programs in the UK?

The specific admission requirements may vary slightly between universities, but generally, applicants are expected to have a bachelor's degree in a relevant field with a minimum GPA of 3.0. They may also need to provide letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and GRE scores.

3. How long does it take to complete an MSc Physics program in the UK?

The duration of MSc Physics programs in the UK can range from 1-2 years, depending on whether the program is full-time or part-time. Some universities also offer accelerated programs that can be completed in less time.

4. What specialization options are available for MSc Physics in the UK?

Many universities in the UK offer a wide range of specialization options for MSc Physics, such as astrophysics, particle physics, condensed matter physics, and biophysics. Students can choose their specialization based on their interests and career goals.

5. Are there any scholarships or funding options available for MSc Physics programs in the UK?

Yes, many universities in the UK offer scholarships and funding opportunities for international students pursuing MSc Physics. Additionally, there are external funding options available, such as the Fulbright Foreign Student Program and the Chevening Scholarships.