Ultracapacitors - How long until the potential difference drops to 6V

In summary: You also know that V(t) = Vo(e^(-t/(RC))) ...So Vo/2 = Vo(e^(-t/(RC))) ...And solving for t ln(0.5) = -t/RC ...So -RCln(0.5) = t ...So (1/RC)ln(2) = t ...So t = (RC)ln(2) = t-constantSo, in summary, ultracapacitors with high capacitance values are now available commercially and can be used to provide power for electrical circuits when other sources are turned off. In this problem, a 1200-F ultracapacitor is initially
idk11

Homework Statement

Compact "ultracapacitors" are with capacitance values up to several thousand farads are now commercially available. One application for ultracapacitors is in providing power for electrical circuits when other sources (such as a battery) are turned off.

Assume a 1200-F ultracapacitor is initially charged to 12.0 V by a battery and is then disconnected from the battery. If charges is then drawn off the plates of this capacitor at a rate of 1.0mC/s. say, to power backup memory of some electrical gadget, how long (in days) will it takes for the potential difference across the capacitor to drop to 6.0 V?

Homework Equations

V(t)=V(0)e^(-t/t-constant)
t-constant=RC
I=Q/t
R=V/I

The Attempt at a Solution

I=0.001/1=0.001
R=12/0.001=12000
t-constant=12000*1200=14400000
ln(6/12)*14400000=-t
t=9981319.4
9981319.4 seconds = 115.52 days

Physics news on Phys.org

Isn't it a little simpler than that?

Qo = Vo*C

The charge is drawn at a constant rate. At Vo/2 then isn't there Qo/2 .

Isn't then ΔQ/I = (Qo - 1/2Qo)/I = Δt ?

Thank you.

Where exactly was I going wrong above then?

idk11 said:
Where exactly was I going wrong above then?

As it reads to me there is a constant current drain. You have so much water in the bucket and you are taking it out at a constant rate.
i.e the I is constant and not a function of t.

The equation you are using is a solution for the differential equation of

C*dV/dt + V/R = 0

But V/R in this equation is the current and is a function of t.

Except in this problem V/R is a constant Io.

Substituting Q/C for V and V/R with Io the equation reduces to a simpler statement that dQ/dt = -Io

If two of these capacitors are placed in a series, how long (in days) would it take? In parallel?

I can calculate the two equivalent resistances for this question, but are they even really needed?

idk11 said:
If two of these capacitors are placed in a series, how long (in days) would it take? In parallel?

I can calculate the two equivalent resistances for this question, but are they even really needed?

I'd say what you really want to calculate is the equivalent capacitance. That tells you how big a bucket of charge you have to draw from.

That's what I meant to say. Once I have the two equivalent capacitances, what equations do I plug them into?

idk11 said:
That's what I meant to say. Once I have the two equivalent capacitances, what equations do I plug them into?

Has Q = V*C changed to determine total charge as before?

Yes, it has changed. I realize that, but what equation am I missing that relates all of these elements to time? In my notes from class, I recorded that, when something is discharging... V(t)=V(0)e(-t/t-constant)

Would I find a new initial voltage through Q=VC and plug it into that equation I just mentioned?

Okay. So I got the correct answer by finding the new Q and plugging it into that equation you gave me for the first part of the question. However, I still do not know where you derived that equation from. My class is strictly algebra-based and we have not even mentioned differentials yet.

ΔQ/I = (Qo - 1/2Qo)/I = Δt

idk11 said:
Okay. So I got the correct answer by finding the new Q and plugging it into that equation you gave me for the first part of the question. However, I still do not know where you derived that equation from. My class is strictly algebra-based and we have not even mentioned differentials yet.

ΔQ/I = (Qo - 1/2Qo)/I = Δt

Since I is defined to be

I = ΔQ/Δt ...

And by Q = V*C you know that when V(t) = Vo/2 , that Qo necessarily = Qo/2 ...

Related to Ultracapacitors - How long until the potential difference drops to 6V

1. How do ultracapacitors store energy?

Ultracapacitors store energy through the separation of positive and negative ions in an electrolyte solution. This creates a potential difference between the two electrodes, allowing for the storage of electrical energy.

2. What is the potential difference of an ultracapacitor?

The potential difference, also known as voltage, of an ultracapacitor varies depending on the specific model and application. However, it typically ranges from 2.5V to 3.8V.

3. How long does it take for the potential difference to drop to 6V?

The time it takes for the potential difference of an ultracapacitor to drop to 6V depends on several factors such as the initial voltage, load, and temperature. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.

4. What affects the lifespan of an ultracapacitor?

The lifespan of an ultracapacitor is affected by several factors, including the number of charge and discharge cycles, operating temperature, and voltage levels. Manufacturers typically provide an estimated lifespan for their specific models.

5. Can ultracapacitors fully replace batteries?

While ultracapacitors have many advantages over traditional batteries, they cannot fully replace them. Batteries are better suited for long-term energy storage, while ultracapacitors are better for short bursts of high-power energy. However, they can be used together in certain applications to optimize their performance.