Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unboundness and periodicity for complex trig functions

1. Aug 13, 2013 #1

ppy

Hi
    I just found out that cos(z) and sin(z) are unbounded and tend to ∞ which I find strange ! But the part i'm struggling with is that I can't reconcile that fact with the fact that they both have a period of 2pi. Surely that means that each value in the range 0-2pi is repeated in the range 2pi-4pi and so on ?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2013 #2
    Since we know that, for example, ##\sin(z)=\frac{e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}{2i}##, if we set ##z=ix##, then ##\sin(ix)=\frac{e^{-x}-e^{x}}{2i}##.

For values ##x_0\in(0,2\pi)##, is there a corresponding ##x_1\in(2\pi,4\pi)## for which ##\sin(ix_0)=\sin(ix_1)##? What does this imply about the periodicity of the sine function as the imaginary part of ##z## gets larger while the real part stays the same?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  4. Aug 13, 2013 #3

ppy

I think I might be getting there ! The period is 2pi but there is no imaginary period ? So this means sin z repeats for every real value of 2pi but never repeats for imaginary values ?

5. Aug 13, 2013 #4
    Essentially, yes.

6. Aug 14, 2013 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For pure imaginary arguments, sin and cos are essentially sinh and cosh for real arguments.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook