Unboundness and periodicity for complex trig functions

In summary: They behave very differently.In summary, the conversation discusses the unboundedness of cos(z) and sin(z) and how it conflicts with their period of 2pi. It is noted that for imaginary arguments, sin and cos behave differently and do not have a periodicity.
ppy
Hi
I just found out that cos(z) and sin(z) are unbounded and tend to ∞ which I find strange ! But the part I'm struggling with is that I can't reconcile that fact with the fact that they both have a period of 2pi. Surely that means that each value in the range 0-2pi is repeated in the range 2pi-4pi and so on ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ppy said:
Hi
I just found out that cos(z) and sin(z) are unbounded and tend to ∞ which I find strange ! But the part I'm struggling with is that I can't reconcile that fact with the fact that they both have a period of 2pi. Surely that means that each value in the range 0-2pi is repeated in the range 2pi-4pi and so on ?
Thanks
Since we know that, for example, ##\sin(z)=\frac{e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}{2i}##, if we set ##z=ix##, then ##\sin(ix)=\frac{e^{-x}-e^{x}}{2i}##.

For values ##x_0\in(0,2\pi)##, is there a corresponding ##x_1\in(2\pi,4\pi)## for which ##\sin(ix_0)=\sin(ix_1)##? What does this imply about the periodicity of the sine function as the imaginary part of ##z## gets larger while the real part stays the same?

Last edited:
I think I might be getting there ! The period is 2pi but there is no imaginary period ? So this means sin z repeats for every real value of 2pi but never repeats for imaginary values ?

ppy said:
I think I might be getting there ! The period is 2pi but there is no imaginary period ? So this means sin z repeats for every real value of 2pi but never repeats for imaginary values ?
Essentially, yes.

Likes 1 person
For pure imaginary arguments, sin and cos are essentially sinh and cosh for real arguments.

1. What is meant by unboundness for complex trig functions?

Unboundness refers to the property of a function where the values of the function can increase or decrease without limit. In the context of complex trig functions, this means that the output values can become very large or small, depending on the input values.

2. How does periodicity apply to complex trig functions?

Periodicity refers to the property of a function where the output values repeat at regular intervals. For complex trig functions, this means that the values of the function will repeat after a certain interval, known as the period. This is similar to how the sine and cosine functions have a period of 2π.

3. Can complex trig functions be both unbounded and periodic?

Yes, some complex trig functions can exhibit both unboundness and periodicity. For example, the tangent function is both unbounded and periodic. As the input values approach certain values, the output values of tangent become very large, and the function repeats its values after every π radians.

4. What is the relationship between unboundness and periodicity for complex trig functions?

The relationship between unboundness and periodicity for complex trig functions is that unboundness can lead to periodicity. When a function is unbounded, it means that the values can increase or decrease without limit. This can result in the function repeating its values at regular intervals, leading to periodicity.

5. How do unboundness and periodicity affect the behavior of complex trig functions?

The presence of unboundness and periodicity in complex trig functions can significantly affect their behavior. These properties can lead to the function having infinite values, discontinuities, and other complex behaviors. It is essential to understand these properties when working with complex trig functions to accurately analyze and interpret their behavior.