Calculating Momentum of an Electron with 511 keV Kinetic Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the momentum of an electron with a kinetic energy equal to its rest energy of 511 keV. The solution is found using the formula E = \gamma m_0 c^2 = K + m_0 c^2, where \gamma represents the energy of the electron and \beta is the velocity over the speed of light. The difficulty with calculating \gamma is resolved by realizing that \gamma = 2, making the solution easier to obtain. The conversation also briefly mentions using m=9.1*10^(-31) kg as the mass of the electron.
asdf1
for the following question:
find the momentum of an electron whose kinetic energy equals its rest energy of 511 keV.

my problem:
[(gamma)-1]mc^2=511*1000*1.6*10^(-19)
but when i try to calculate the v in the gamma factor, it's impossible to calculate on the calculator because the number is too small...
any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I see where your difficulty is. It appears that [itex]\gamma = 2[/itex] so [itex]\beta = \frac {\sqrt 3}{2}[/itex]. Did I miss something?

@@a
i think I'm the one who's missing something... why's gamma=2? i thought that you were supposed to try the "v" in gamma (gamma= [1-v^2/(c^2)]^(-1)) so isn't gamma unknown? may i also ask what does beta represent?

The energy of the electron is [tex] E = \gamma m_0 c^2 = K + m_0 c^2 [/tex] where [tex] K [/tex] is the kinetic energy of the electron. You are told that [tex] K = m_0 c^2 [/tex], right? Solve for [tex] \gamma [/tex].

You have [itex]\gamma - 1 = 1[/itex] so that [itex]\gamma = 2[/itex]. Also, [itex]\beta[/itex] is just v/c.

wow... i hadn't thought of that way to solve the problem...
so because my way is almost impossible to solve, so you guys changed your method to using the formula
[tex] E = \gamma m_0 c^2 = K + m_0 c^2 [/tex]?

Doing it your way, use m=0.911e-30 kg, c=3e8 m/s
to get gamma = 2.0 ... what did *you* use for m?

beta is v/c (comes before gamma, inside the gamma formula)

i used m=9.1*10^(-31) kg

is that method right?

1. How is momentum of an electron calculated?

The momentum of an electron can be calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. The equation for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

2. What is the mass of an electron?

The mass of an electron is approximately 9.11 x 10^-31 kilograms. This is a very small mass compared to most objects we encounter in daily life.

3. What is the kinetic energy of an electron with 511 keV?

The kinetic energy of an electron can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * mv^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is mass, and v is velocity. In this case, the kinetic energy of an electron with 511 keV would be 2.24 x 10^-13 joules.

4. How does the momentum of an electron change with increasing kinetic energy?

The momentum of an electron increases as its kinetic energy increases. This is because momentum is directly proportional to velocity, and as an electron's kinetic energy increases, its velocity increases as well.

5. Can the momentum of an electron ever be negative?

No, the momentum of an electron cannot be negative. Momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The direction of an electron's momentum can be positive or negative, but the magnitude will always be a positive value.