1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncalculable v

1. Oct 8, 2005 #1
    for the following question:
    find the momentum of an electron whose kinetic energy equals its rest energy of 511 keV.

my problem:
    but when i try to calculate the v in the gamma factor, it's impossible to calculate on the calculator because the number is too small...
    any suggestions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure I see where your difficulty is. It appears that [itex]\gamma = 2[/itex] so [itex]\beta = \frac {\sqrt 3}{2}[/itex]. Did I miss something?
  4. Oct 8, 2005 #3
    i think i'm the one who's missing something... why's gamma=2? i thought that you were supposed to try the "v" in gamma (gamma= [1-v^2/(c^2)]^(-1)) so isn't gamma unknown? may i also ask what does beta represent?
  5. Oct 8, 2005 #4

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The energy of the electron is [tex] E = \gamma m_0 c^2 = K + m_0 c^2 [/tex] where [tex] K [/tex] is the kinetic energy of the electron. You are told that [tex] K = m_0 c^2 [/tex], right? Solve for [tex] \gamma [/tex].
  6. Oct 8, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have [itex]\gamma - 1 = 1[/itex] so that [itex]\gamma = 2[/itex]. Also, [itex]\beta[/itex] is just v/c.
  7. Oct 9, 2005 #6
    wow... i hadn't thought of that way to solve the problem...
    so because my way is almost impossible to solve, so you guys changed your method to using the formula
    [tex] E = \gamma m_0 c^2 = K + m_0 c^2 [/tex]?
  8. Oct 9, 2005 #7

Homework Helper

Doing it your way, use m=0.911e-30 kg, c=3e8 m/s
    to get gamma = 2.0 ... what did *you* use for m?

beta is v/c (comes before gamma, inside the gamma formula)
  9. Oct 10, 2005 #8
    i used m=9.1*10^(-31) kg
  10. Oct 11, 2005 #9
    is that method right?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?