Uncertainty principle on P and E exchange

In summary: Yes, this is the main reason that QM is probabilistic rather than deterministic. Probability allows for the possibility of multiple outcomes, while deterministic theories only allow for a single outcome.\Psi ? right?Thanks all! :)
luxiaolei
Hi,all, I am wondering, momentum can expressed as energy, so:

dxdP can expresses as dxdE ?

then position, momentum, energy,time are all related, and they all form uncertainty relations??

in the view of commute the operators, all these four operators can NOT commute??

where am I wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The total energy depends on position as well, thus does not commute. You could say for a free particle everything commutes however in a universe with only a single particle I am not sure such a term as position would even exist as it is a relative term.

LostConjugate said:
The total energy depends on position as well, thus does not commute. You could say for a free particle everything commutes however in a universe with only a single particle I am not sure such a term as position would even exist as it is a relative term.

Thanks for replay,LostConjugate. I am very interested in what you said free particle's all operators commute, would you please explain it more? Thanks

Actually it still does not commute with position. A free particle's energy only depends on the momentum and not the position because it is in a universe where there are no other forces. So the total energy would commute with the momentum.

luxiaolei said:
and they all form uncertainty relations??

This is true.

luxiaolei said:
Hi,all, I am wondering, momentum can expressed as energy, so:

dxdP can expresses as dxdE ?

then position, momentum, energy,time are all related, and they all form uncertainty relations??

in the view of commute the operators, all these four operators can NOT commute??

where am I wrong?

Thanks in advance!

It is true that in classical mechanics, kinetic energy can be expressed in terms of the momentum as p2/2m. However, in QM, momentum is an operator, so you need to be a little more careful. You can construct the analogous kinetic energy operator as:

[tex]\hat{K}=\frac{\hat{p}^{2}}{2m}=-\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}\nabla^{2}[/tex]

Also, you seem to be neglecting potential energy in your question, V(x), which is in turn a function of position. The total energy is of course always the sum of the kinetic and potential energies.

To answer your question, the following pairs of operators commute:

1) momentum and kinetic energy
2) position and potential energy

The following pairs of operators never commute:
1) momentum and position
2) kinetic energy and position

The following pairs of operators do not commute in general, but can in special cases (like the free particle, where V=0):
1) momentum and potential energy
2) kinetic energy and potential energy

HTH

LostConjugate:
right, start to make sense now, thanks alot. so it comes an conclusion:
if precisely measure time then enlarger E and P, then result in precise the position, am I right? position and time, if measure one of them precisely, the other one will locate precisely automatically?

Better answer Cat :) The way I always remember it is that you can't have an exact position if you have a momentum. Simply because momentum is dx/dt and an exact position would require dx = 0. Therefore... uncertainty existed far before QM.

Since E = p = x/t everything is uncertain.

luxiaolei said:
LostConjugate:
right, start to make sense now, thanks alot. so it comes an conclusion:
if precisely measure time then enlarger E and P, then result in precise the position, am I right? position and time, if measure one of them precisely, the other one will locate precisely automatically?

If you measures position to an exact measurement you will no longer be able to measures momentum, because dx = 0 and p = dx/dt (or in QM d^2/dx^2) so now how to you calculate that?

Same goes for measuring momentum, you will no longer get an exact position, it is either one or the other.

LostConjugate said:
If you measures position to an exact measurement you will no longer be able to measures momentum, because dx = 0 and p = dx/dt (or in QM d^2/dx^2) so now how to you calculate that?

Same goes for measuring momentum, you will no longer get an exact position, it is either one or the other.

@luxiaoloei: This is the whole reason that QM is probablilstic and not deterministic... we can't ignore that. If not, why [tex]\Psi[/tex] ? right?

Thanks all! :)

Related to Uncertainty principle on P and E exchange

1. What is the Uncertainty Principle on P and E exchange?

The Uncertainty Principle on P and E exchange, also known as the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a subatomic particle. This principle is based on the wave-particle duality of particles, meaning they can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

2. How does the Uncertainty Principle on P and E exchange affect our understanding of the physical world?

This principle challenges our classical understanding of the physical world, which is based on determinism and the idea that everything has a definite position and momentum. It shows that at the subatomic level, the behavior of particles is inherently unpredictable and uncertain.

3. Can the Uncertainty Principle on P and E exchange be violated?

No, the Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental law of quantum mechanics and has been proven to hold true in countless experiments. It is a fundamental property of the universe and cannot be violated.

4. How does the Uncertainty Principle on P and E exchange impact measurements in quantum physics?

Due to the Uncertainty Principle, we can never make a measurement of both the position and momentum of a particle with 100% accuracy. The more precisely we measure one, the less precise our measurement of the other will be. This has important implications for experiments and technological applications in quantum physics.

5. Is there a way to overcome the Uncertainty Principle on P and E exchange?

No, the Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental limitation of our understanding of the physical world at the subatomic level. However, there are ways to minimize the uncertainty in measurements by using advanced techniques and technology, such as quantum entanglement and superposition.