Uncover the Power of Linear Algebra: Proving Invertibility of a 3x3 Matrix

In summary, if for every row vector y there exists a row vector x such that xA=y, then A is invertible. This is because we can construct a 3x3 matrix B, where each row is equal to the corresponding x, such that BA=I. This shows that A has an inverse and is therefore invertible.
songofmisery
let A be a 3x3 matrix. Suppose that for every row vector y=[y1 y2 y3] there exists a row vector x=[x1 x2 x3] such that xA=y. Show that A is invertable

i honestly have no idea where to even go with this. any help would be appreciated (:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: A is invertible if and only if there is a 3x3 matrix B such that BA = ?

such that BA = I?

i read something about that in my textbook but i don't understand what I is. Is it just the inverse?

i know how to find an inverse, i just don't understand the part with row vectors and where it fits into the equation

No, I is the identity matrix:

[tex]I = \left[ \begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 \end{array} \right][/tex]

Try to write BA = I, one row at a time.

oh, that would make sense.

so could i say that B is x and I is y?

i feel like that's completely wrong.

No, B and I are 3x3 matrices, whereas x and y are 1x3.

If you're having trouble seeing what to do, I suggest naming the elements of the matrix B, for example as follows:

[tex]B = \left[ \begin{array}{ccc}
a & b & c \\
d & e & f \\
g & h & i \end{array}\right] [/tex]

Now, what's the first row of BA = I? It is of the form xA = y. What are x and y in this case?

x would be [a b c] and y would be [1 0 0]?

Right. So now, reverse the argument. You are given the fact that for every row vector y, there is a row vector x such that xA = y. So start by choosing y = [1 0 0], and writing the corresponding x = [a b c]. Now repeat for the remaining two rows. What do you end up with?

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and other mathematical structures to solve systems of linear equations and understand geometric transformations.

Why is proving invertibility of a 3x3 matrix important?

Invertibility of a matrix is an important property because it allows us to find the solution to a system of linear equations. It also helps us understand the relationships between different variables and how they affect each other in a given system.

What is the process for proving invertibility of a 3x3 matrix?

The process for proving invertibility of a 3x3 matrix involves several steps. First, we must find the determinant of the matrix. If the determinant is non-zero, then the matrix is invertible. If the determinant is zero, then the matrix is not invertible. Additionally, we can use row reduction techniques to transform the matrix into its reduced row echelon form. If the resulting matrix has a pivot in every row, then the original matrix is invertible.

What are some real-world applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has many practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It is used in image and signal processing, data compression, financial analysis, and machine learning, to name a few.

Are there any limitations to using linear algebra in problem solving?

While linear algebra can be a powerful tool for solving mathematical problems, it does have some limitations. For instance, it may not be applicable to non-linear systems. Additionally, solving large systems of equations using linear algebra can be computationally intensive, so alternative methods may be more efficient in these cases.