What are the top undergraduate physics colleges in the US and Canada?

In summary, the top public universities for undergraduate physics in the US and Canada, as per the US News and World Report ranking of top physics schools (private schools excluded), are Berkeley, Illinois - Urbana-Champaign, UC Santa Barbara, Michigan - Anne Arbor, UC San Diego, Maryland - College Park, Texas - Austin, Wisconsin - Madison, UCLA, Colorado - Boulder, Washington, Ohio State, Penn State, and Stony Brook. However, it is important to note that there are limited undergraduate rankings for physics and graduate school rankings are often used as a proxy. Ultimately, the quality of research and other factors like GPA and PGRE scores can heavily influence admission to competitive schools.
Sidvlpr
what are the top public universities for undergraduate physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "top"? Top in the league tables? If you believe in league tables, did you try searching for them?

Sidvlpr said:
what are the top public universities for undergraduate physics.
In which nation?

Astronuc said:
In which nation?

I'm pretty sure he's assuming the US.

Well there are very few undergraduate rankings, but I have always thought that grad school rankings are a reasonable proxy given that they indicate the community's regard for the school and research activity.

From US News and World Report ranking of top physics schools (private schools excluded)

1. Berkeley
2. Illinois - Urbana-Champaign
3. UC Santa Barbara
4. Michigan - Anne Arbor
6. UC San Diego = Maryland - College Park = Texas - Austin
9. Wisconsin - Madison
10. UCLA = Colorado - Boulder = Washington
11. Ohio State = Penn State = Stony Brookhttp://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...-schools/top-science-schools/physics-rankings

Why would you care for an undergraduate ranking in Physics?

Don't you think graduate school matters more than undergraduate in physics? If your research is good enough and GPA, PGRE, more than likely you will get into most competitive schools (my assumption from what I have been reading recently).

But I'd like to hear others who know a few things here, does undergrad. even matter (physics)? (Of course, I and assuming the OP aren't going to any hole in the wall schools that are sketchy and in the top 50)

@gsmith Thankyou
Yea US And Canada

1. What is the difference between undergraduate and graduate physics programs?

Undergraduate physics programs are typically 4-year Bachelor's degree programs that provide a broad foundation in physics principles and theories. Graduate physics programs are more specialized and typically require a Bachelor's degree in physics or a related field for admission. They also require more advanced coursework and research experience.

2. What are some common courses included in an undergraduate physics curriculum?

Common courses in an undergraduate physics curriculum include classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics. Other courses may include optics, astrophysics, and computational physics.

3. What types of career opportunities are available for undergraduate physics majors?

Undergraduate physics majors can pursue careers in a variety of fields, including research, engineering, teaching, and data analysis. They may also find opportunities in industries such as aerospace, telecommunications, and renewable energy.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong math background for an undergraduate physics program?

Yes, a strong foundation in math is essential for success in an undergraduate physics program. Courses in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations are typically required and used extensively in physics coursework.

5. Are there opportunities for undergraduate physics students to participate in research?

Yes, many undergraduate physics programs offer opportunities for students to participate in research projects under the guidance of faculty members. This can provide valuable hands-on experience and can also be beneficial for students interested in pursuing graduate studies in physics.