Undergraduate Schools: Researching UMD & VT for Grad School

In summary, the speaker is planning to apply for undergraduate schools and has two definite choices in mind, University of Maryland College Park and Virginia Tech. They are looking for advice on other schools in the area with similar qualifications and keeping graduate school in mind. The speaker has heard positive things about UMD and their cousins have attended there, but they are also considering other schools such as UMBC, UVA, and Johns Hopkins.
Fisicks
I will be applying for undergraduate schools in a couple of weeks, and i only have 1 or 2 definite schools that i want to go to. Mainly University of Maryland College Park (-close to my house -cheaper then most state universities -solid math and physics programs -research opportunities) but i also have Virginia Tech in mind.

So what I'm asking for basically is if anyone has had a good experience at a school around my area which those qualifications while also keeping attending grad school in mind.

Many thanks to anyone that lends advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
UMD is a pretty good school, a lot of my cousins went there (and a couple were math/physics major) and they have positive comments about the school overall.

In fact it's going to be one of my choices for my undergrad :-p

I am currently a senior at UMD in physics and astronomy. Maryland has a very good department. There are many opportunities for research, and the professors generally seem to enjoy teaching. I do have a couple complaints about the physics curriculum, but there are easy ways around them. I love it at Maryland.

Unfortunately, I only applied to College Park, so I can not tell you much about other schools in the area. I know UMBC has a solid program, and a focus of their department is biophysics. UVA has a rather large program as well, I believe. There is Johns Hopkins right up in Baltimore which I believe has a solid reputation. And I don't know anything about Virginia Tech.

thanks, glad to hear UMD is decent.

oh yeah my cousins went to UMD college park, just in case you're wondering

Related to Undergraduate Schools: Researching UMD & VT for Grad School

1. What makes UMD and VT good choices for graduate school?

UMD and VT are both highly respected research universities with a strong focus on graduate education. They offer a wide range of programs and have renowned faculty who are leaders in their fields. Both schools also have a strong commitment to hands-on research opportunities for undergraduate students, which can be valuable for those interested in pursuing graduate studies.

2. How do UMD and VT compare in terms of research opportunities?

Both UMD and VT have a wide range of research opportunities available for undergraduate students, including opportunities for students to work alongside faculty members on cutting-edge research projects. However, UMD may have a slight advantage in terms of research funding, as it receives significantly more research funding than VT.

3. What are the admission requirements for UMD and VT's graduate programs?

The admission requirements for UMD and VT's graduate programs vary depending on the specific program. Generally, both schools require applicants to have a strong undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require standardized test scores and relevant work or research experience.

4. What resources are available for students interested in attending UMD or VT for graduate school?

Both UMD and VT offer resources for students interested in attending graduate school, including information sessions, campus visits, and virtual tours. They also have dedicated graduate admissions offices that can provide guidance and answer any questions about the application process.

5. How can I learn more about the research being conducted at UMD and VT?

UMD and VT both have extensive websites where you can explore their research programs and the work of individual faculty members. You can also attend research seminars and events at both schools to learn more about the ongoing research projects and opportunities for undergraduate students to get involved.