Choosing between UMD and Virginia Tech for undergrad with grad school in mind

  • Topic: Schools 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Fisicks
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Schools Undergraduate
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Fisicks
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
I will be applying for undergraduate schools in a couple of weeks, and i only have 1 or 2 definite schools that i want to go to. Mainly University of Maryland College Park (-close to my house -cheaper then most state universities -solid math and physics programs -research opportunities) but i also have Virginia Tech in mind.

So what I'm asking for basically is if anyone has had a good experience at a school around my area which those qualifications while also keeping attending grad school in mind.

Many thanks to anyone that lends advice.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
UMD is a pretty good school, a lot of my cousins went there (and a couple were math/physics major) and they have positive comments about the school overall.

In fact it's going to be one of my choices for my undergrad :-p
 
I am currently a senior at UMD in physics and astronomy. Maryland has a very good department. There are many opportunities for research, and the professors generally seem to enjoy teaching. I do have a couple complaints about the physics curriculum, but there are easy ways around them. I love it at Maryland.

Unfortunately, I only applied to College Park, so I can not tell you much about other schools in the area. I know UMBC has a solid program, and a focus of their department is biophysics. UVA has a rather large program as well, I believe. There is Johns Hopkins right up in Baltimore which I believe has a solid reputation. And I don't know anything about Virginia Tech.
 
oh yeah my cousins went to UMD college park, just in case you're wondering