Understand Sideral Time & Calculations - Sept.22, Nov.22, RA 2200 Hours

• Thread starter Borg
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of sidereal time and how it relates to local time on the autumnal equinox. It is calculated by adding 2 hours for every month since the equinox and adding this to the local time. It is also equal to the sum of Right Ascension and Hour Angle. However, it is important to note that sidereal time does not equal local time on the autumnal equinox due to the difference in time zones and the continuous path of the Sun's movement. To convert from apparent solar time to clock time, one must first convert to mean solar time and account for time zone differences. The conversation concludes with the understanding that for a rough estimate, one can use the equation discussed, but for
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm re-reading the calculations for Sideral Time and want to make sure that I've got the basics down. I want to make sure that I have grasped a few things though.

Sideral Time = local time on the autumnal equinox (Sept. 22)
Sideral Time = local time + (2hours * months since Sept. 22)
Sidereal Time = Right Ascension + Hour Angle

So, if I go outside at 6pm local time on Nov. 22, ST will be 1800 + 4 = 2200 hours. And anything directly overhead on my meridan at that time will have an RA of 2200 hours.

Did I get this right?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Not quite. Sidereal time doesn't equal local time on the autumnal equinox because time zones differ by an integer number of hours, while the Sun's path across the sky is continuous. All you can say is that the apparent solar time on the autumnal equinox is roughly equal to sidereal time. To convert from apparent solar time to clock time, you'd have to first convert to mean solar time using the equation of time, then convert to clock time by accounting for time zone differences & location within a time zone.

OK, thanks. I should have been more liberal with the word approximate. The article that I was reading was discussing how to estimate the sidereal time to within a half-hour and didn't discuss time zones other than to mention DST. My first goal is to be able to stand outside without any equipment and approximately know where I'm looking on the celestial sphere.

So if we're only interested in a rough half-hour estimate, it sounds like I understand the basics and I can move on to the next level of reading with respect to the equation of time, position within a time zone, DST, etc.

Now if I could just spell sidereal correctly... :blushing:

Last edited:

1. What is Sideral Time?

Sideral Time is a method of measuring time based on the position of the stars. It is used by astronomers to determine the Earth's rotation and for making celestial observations.

2. How is Sideral Time calculated?

Sideral Time is calculated based on the Earth's rotation relative to the position of a distant star. It is measured in hours, minutes, and seconds, with 24 hours representing one full rotation of the Earth.

3. What is the significance of Sept.22 and Nov.22 in Sideral Time?

Sept.22 and Nov.22 are known as the equinoxes, when the Earth's axis is tilted neither towards nor away from the sun. These dates are important for calculating Sideral Time because they mark the start and end of the sidereal year, which is the time it takes for the Earth to make one full orbit around the sun.

4. What does RA 2200 Hours mean in Sideral Time?

RA, or Right Ascension, is a coordinate used in astronomy to pinpoint the location of celestial objects. It is measured in hours, minutes, and seconds and represents the time at which a star crosses the meridian (the imaginary line that runs from north to south through the sky). Therefore, RA 2200 Hours indicates that the star is located at a position where its Right Ascension is 22 hours on the celestial equator.

5. Why is Sideral Time important for scientists?

Sideral Time is crucial for scientists because it allows for the precise measurement and study of celestial objects and events. It is used in various fields of astronomy, including navigation, astrophysics, and cosmology. It also helps scientists understand the Earth's rotation and its relationship to the rest of the universe.