Understanding a problem that uses episolon delta defintion

• Thread starter Genericcoder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delta
In summary, the epsilon-delta definition is a mathematical concept used to precisely define the limit of a function. It involves using two variables, epsilon and delta, to describe the proximity of a function's output to its limit. This definition is used to understand a problem by providing a precise and rigorous way to determine the behavior of a function at a given point. The significance of epsilon and delta lies in their ability to represent a distance or proximity to a limit and together, they allow us to determine the behavior of a function at a specific point. The epsilon-delta definition is often used in calculus and real analysis to prove the convergence or divergence of a function and in optimization problems to determine the minimum or maximum value of a function. To improve understanding
Genericcoder
let E = episolon and D = delta;

the problem is as follows:

let f(x) = (2x^2 - 3x + 3). prove that lim as x approaches 3 f(x) = 21,

we write |f(x) - 21| = |x^2 + 2x - 15| = |x + 5||x - 3|

to make this small, we need a bound on the size of |x + 5| when x is close to 3. For example,
if we arbitarily require that |x - 3| < 1 then

|x + 5| = |x - 3 + 8| <= |x - 3| + |8| < 1 + 8 = 9

to make E f(x) within E of 21, we want to have |x + 5| < 9 and |x - 3| < E/9

I don't understand how did he get E/9 |x - 3| < E/9 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Genericcoder said:
let E = episolon and D = delta;

the problem is as follows:

let f(x) = (2x^2 - 3x + 3). prove that lim as x approaches 3 f(x) = 21,
This is clearly false. Note that ##f(3) = 12##, not ##21##. And ##f## is continuous, so ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 3}f(x) = f(3)##. Is there a typo?

Also, how did you get this:
Genericcoder said:
we write |f(x) - 21| = |x^2 + 2x - 15|
from ##f(x) = 2x^2 - 3x + 3##? Are you sure you are not mixing up two different problems?

it should be 2x^2 + 2x + 6 your right ! but the same logic holds for the problem that I typed I don't know how did he get |x - 3| < E/9...

Last edited:
srry I had a type your right it should be 2x^2 + 2x + 6 !

Genericcoder said:
it should be 2x^2 + 2x + 6 your right !
That still doesn't have a limit of ##21## as ##x \rightarrow 3##. It's hard to help if you don't write down the correct problem!

From this line:
|f(x) - 21| = |x^2 + 2x - 15| = |x + 5||x - 3|
I am going to assume that you meant ##f(x) = x^2 + 2x + 6##, which does have the limit ##21## as ##x \rightarrow 3##. So, proceeding from that assumption:

Clearly it's not going to be a problem to make ##|x-3|## as small as we like as ##x \rightarrow 3##. So as your narrative says, we just need to make sure that ##|x+5|## doesn't grow without bound as we shrink ##|x-3|## to zero.

I assume you are OK with the logic that shows that if ##|x-3| < 1##, then ##|x+5| < 9##.

So now our goal is to make ##|x+5||x-3| < \epsilon##. We already know we need ##|x-3|< 1## in order for the bound ##|x+5| < 9## to be valid. If we ALSO had ##|x-3| < \epsilon / 9##, then we could conclude that
$$|x+5||x-3| < 9 \cdot \frac{\epsilon}{9} = \epsilon$$
So how should we define ##\delta##?

Likes 1 person
but why did u assume |x - 3| < E/9 out of nowhere?

Genericcoder said:
but why did u assume |x - 3| < E/9 out of nowhere?
Because I recognized that was the factor I needed in order to get ##|x+5||x-3| < \epsilon##, given that ##|x+5| < 9##.

So all that needs to be done is to show that the assumption can be achieved. In other words, we need a ##\delta## such that if ##|x-3| < \delta##, then both of the assumptions that we have made are satisfied, namely ##|x-3| < \epsilon/9## and ##|x-3| < 1##. How can I choose ##\delta## to guarantee this?

oh I see oke so in order to achieve this we make E = min{1,E/9} right?

Genericcoder said:
oh I see oke so in order to achieve this we make E = min{1,E/9} right?
I assume you mean D = min{1,E/9}. That is correct. :approve:

can u give me a website that has a lot of examples on epsilon delta proof of limits?

Have you looked in the "Mathematics Learning Materials" section?

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=178

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the epsilon-delta definition of a problem?

The epsilon-delta definition is a mathematical concept used to precisely define the limit of a function. It involves using two variables, epsilon and delta, to describe the proximity of a function's output to its limit. It is often used to prove the convergence or divergence of a series or sequence.

2. How is the epsilon-delta definition used to understand a problem?

The epsilon-delta definition is used to understand a problem by providing a precise and rigorous way to determine the behavior of a function at a given point. By setting a limit for the difference between a function's output and its limit, epsilon and delta allow us to determine whether a function is approaching its limit or not.

3. What is the significance of epsilon and delta in the epsilon-delta definition?

Epsilon and delta are both variables that represent a distance or proximity to a limit. Epsilon represents the acceptable difference between a function's output and its limit, while delta represents the distance between the input and the point at which the limit is being evaluated. Together, they allow us to determine the behavior of a function at a specific point.

4. When is the epsilon-delta definition used in problem-solving?

The epsilon-delta definition is often used in calculus and real analysis to prove the convergence or divergence of a function. It is also used in optimization problems to determine the minimum or maximum value of a function. Additionally, it can be applied in physics and engineering to model and understand the behavior of systems.

5. How can one improve their understanding of the epsilon-delta definition?

To improve understanding of the epsilon-delta definition, one can practice solving problems that involve using it, read textbooks and articles that explain it in detail, and seek help from a tutor or instructor. It is also important to have a solid understanding of calculus and real analysis concepts before delving into the epsilon-delta definition.