Understanding Diffraction at a Single Slit: Notes and Resources

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of diffraction through a single slit and the effects of varying distance to the screen. It also touches on the nature of light as a wave and the concept of photon circulation around a nucleus. The conversation concludes with suggestions for further research and resources for understanding these concepts.
rezaulislam450
[Mentors' note: This thread has been edited to change the level tag from 'A' to 'I']
Hello guys, I want the deduction part of-
diffraction at single slit:

Plz sent me the notes of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
rezaulislam450 said:
Hello guys, I want the deduction part of-
diffraction at single slit:

Plz sent me the notes of this.

Hi there
welcome to PF :smile:

you have labelled your post with an A tag, indicating a post graduate level.
you should be well used to doing research at that level, so what research have you done so far in finding the information you need ?

I'm afraid we can't help you like this.

Your description of what you want to know is too vague, what would you like to know about diffraction through a single slit? You have stated that you are at a post-graduate level (Advanced), what information do you want at that level?

EDIT: @davenn beat me to it.

Likes davenn
lekh2003 said:
I'm afraid we can't help you like this.

Your description of what you want to know is too vague, what would you like to know about diffraction through a single slit? You have stated that you are at a post-graduate level (Advanced), what information do you want at that level?

EDIT: @davenn beat me to it.
For BSc 4th sem general course of Physic in Gauhati university syllabus which required for this.

rezaulislam450 said:
For BSc 4th sem general course of Physic in Gauhati university syllabus which required for this.
There really isn't much to it. Especially when you approach it from a university level.

A lot of the relevant equations and principals should have been explained early in high school. What more can one learn in university about the topic that one does should already know about.

You can try and look at the hyperphysics link which PumpkinCougar95 gave. There isn't much else to provide at your level. You should be able to research this on your own.

rezaulislam450 said:

There's always the Khan Academy:

• Informative
Likes davenn
Maybe naive or misguided questions. I need some clarity:
1. What is the effect on interference of varying the distance to the screen?
2. Light does not have a single dimension "surface" wave as in a water-bed wave interference machine. Does not the wavelength also have a side-to-side effect through the slit? Or would this imply that light in its behaviour as a wave has some amplitude (I believe this is an idea that is frowned upon)
Light as a photon circulating around an (empty?) nucleus as it also moves through space, possibly in a (polarised) sine wave, could explain many of the phenomena, or am I wrong?

Johannn said:
1. What is the effect on interference of varying the distance to the screen?
You can calculate that for yourself from the sources linked above. If you don't need a quantitative answer, will settle for a qualitative one, then as the distance between slit and screen increases the pattern on the screen spreads out and becomes dimmer.
2. Light does not have a single dimension "surface" wave as in a water-bed wave interference machine. Does not the wavelength also have a side-to-side effect through the slit? Or would this imply that light in its behaviour as a wave has some amplitude (I believe this is an idea that is frowned upon)
Although light is a transverse wave, nothing is actually moving sideways. It's the intensity of the electromagnetic field at a given point that is oscillatiing sinusoidally - and that intensity is the amplitude.

Generally when working this problem we approximate by considering the height of the slit to be infinite and the incident light to be an ideal plane wave: for a wave traveling in the positive x direction the amplitude is given by ##A\sin(kx-\omega t)## and for any given value of ##x## has the same value at all points in the corresponding y-z plane. With these simplifications the problem becomes mathematically analogous to the water wave problem, with the amplitude of the electromagnetic field analogous to the vertical displacement of the water.
Light as a photon circulating around an (empty?) nucleus as it also moves through space, possibly in a (polarised) sine wave, could explain many of the phenomena, or am I wrong?
Complete wrong. Photons are not anything like that, and they don't circulate around a nucleus. If you aren't looking for a graduate-level course in quantum electrodynamics, you might try some of our many threads on what photons are and are not, or give Feynman's layman-friendly book "QED: The strange theory of light and matter" a try. But photons are not involved in understanding interference and diffraction patterns, that's all classical wave electrodynamics.

Likes davenn
Johannn said:
Maybe naive or misguided questions.
Yep, they certainly are. Start at the beginning and do not try to jump into the middle of the subject with both feet. I have no idea what the most suitable source for you would be but start with a basic A Level Physics textbook.

Related to Understanding Diffraction at a Single Slit: Notes and Resources

What is diffraction at a single slit?

Diffraction at a single slit is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave, such as light or sound, passes through a narrow opening or slit. The wave spreads out and bends around the edges of the slit, creating a pattern of dark and light bands on a screen or surface.

What factors affect the diffraction pattern at a single slit?

The diffraction pattern at a single slit is affected by the width of the slit, the wavelength of the wave, and the distance between the slit and the screen or surface where the pattern is observed. The pattern becomes more spread out as the slit becomes narrower and the wavelength becomes longer.

What is the significance of the central bright spot in a single slit diffraction pattern?

The central bright spot in a single slit diffraction pattern is the result of constructive interference, where the waves from different parts of the slit overlap and reinforce each other. It is the brightest spot in the pattern and represents the unobstructed portion of the wave.

How does diffraction at a single slit differ from diffraction at multiple slits?

In diffraction at a single slit, the wave passes through only one narrow opening, while in diffraction at multiple slits, the wave passes through multiple narrow openings. This results in a more complex diffraction pattern with multiple bright and dark spots in the case of multiple slits.

What are some real-world applications of single slit diffraction?

Single slit diffraction is used in various scientific instruments, such as electron microscopes and spectrometers, to study the properties of waves and particles. It is also utilized in everyday objects like CD players and DVD players, where the laser beam diffracts through a single slit to read the information on the disc.