Understanding Electric Charge Distribution in Conducting Spheres

In summary: So we can write:$$q_{1} = q - \frac{q}{2}$$$$q_{2} = q + \frac{q}{2}$$where q is the net charge on the spheres before connecting with the wire. After connecting, the spheres have equal but opposite charges of magnitude q/2. Now you can use the force equation to solve for q. Does that make sense?In summary, two identical conducting spheres with a positive net charge attract each other with an electrostatic force of 0.108 N at a center-to-center separation of 50.0 cm. When connected by a thin conducting wire, the spheres equalize their charges, resulting in a force of 0.
Phy6dummy

Homework Statement

Two identical conducting spheres, fixed in place, attract each other with an electrostatic force of 0.108 N when their center-to-center separation is 50.0 cm. The spheres are then connected by a thin conducting wire.When the wire is removed, the spheres repel each other with an electrostatic force of 0.0360 N. Of the initial charges on the spheres, with a positive net charge, what was (a) the negative charge on one of them and (b) the positive charge on the other?

Homework Equations

F=k((q1q2)/r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was plug and chug
F1=0.108N=8.99^9((q1q2)/0.5^2)=3.0x10^-12
same for the second one F2=.0360 etc.. But I got it wrong.
I can not understand why for the second equation it has to be F2=k((q1+q2)(^2)/4r^2). From what I think, since the charge is conserved, shouldn't it be the same as the original equation? Or am I misinterpreting the book or something? I just can't figure out why Fa=kq1q2/r^2 but Fb=k((q1+q2)(^2)/4r^2) or where did the (q1+q2)/2 came from? Thanks in advance.
Sorry, I am so slow with these things.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you come to the value of 3.0 x 10^{-12} for F1? The charges are unknown, so you can't solve it.

And what the second equation means is that the charges become equal after they're connected with the wire, so the charge on each becomes half of the net charge:
$$q = \frac{q_{1} + q_{2}}{2}$$
So the force equation becomes:
$$F = k \cdot \frac{q^{2}}{r^{2}}$$

First, you need to undrstand the implication of connecting both with a piece of wire. What is going on here?

And Welcome to Physics Forums!

jackarms said:
And what the second equation means is that the charges become equal after they're connected with the wire, so the charge on each becomes half of the net charge:
$$q = \frac{q_{1} + q_{2}}{2}$$
So the force equation becomes:
$$F = k \cdot \frac{q^{2}}{r^{2}}$$
NascentOxygen said:
First, you need to undrstand the implication of connecting both with a piece of wire. What is going on here?

And Welcome to Physics Forums!

Hmm... Can you hold my hand and walk me through this. Lol sorry I am so slow. So, Is it because the charge cannot be created or destroy but can move around the wire means that it is the average of q1 and q2?

And thanks for welcoming me.

The symmetry of the situation means the charges equalize, half on one and the remainder on the other. The copper wire facilitates this rearrangement of the existing charges. It allows charge to move until there is no longer a potential difference between the two spheres.

Related to Understanding Electric Charge Distribution in Conducting Spheres

1. What is electric charge?

Electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that describes the amount of electrical energy present in a particle or object. It can be either positive or negative, and particles with the same charge repel each other while particles with opposite charges attract each other.

2. What causes electric charge?

Electric charge is caused by the presence and movement of electrons, which are negatively charged particles, within atoms. When electrons move from one atom to another, they create an imbalance of charge that results in an electric field.

3. How is electric charge measured?

Electric charge is typically measured in Coulombs (C), which is the unit of measurement for electrical charge. The charge of a single electron is approximately 1.6 x 10^-19 C.

4. What are some common problems with electric charge?

One common problem with electric charge is static electricity, which occurs when there is an imbalance of electric charge on the surface of an object. Another problem is electric shock, which can occur when a person comes into contact with a source of electricity and receives a sudden discharge of electric current.

5. How are electric charge problems solved?

Electric charge problems can be solved by understanding the principles of electric charge and using mathematical equations, such as Coulomb's Law, to calculate the forces between charged particles. In some cases, insulating materials can also be used to prevent the buildup of electric charge.