Understanding Fourier Optics in Electro-Optics Lab: Theory vs Experiment

In summary, the speaker had an exam in electro-optics lab last week and had a question about the purpose of an optical Fourier setup. They claimed that the setup is similar to a 4-f system for inverse Fourier transform, but had a concern about the focal length of the second lens not being exactly on the Fourier plane. They assumed this minor displacement would not significantly affect the results, but acknowledged that it may contradict the theory. They are seeking help and approval or disapproval of their theory from others with more knowledge and experience in the field.
wuid
Hi all

Last week i had an exam in electro-optics lab.
we were given a question in optical Fourier setup (attached)

and then we have some questions about the purpose of the setup.

I claimed that the aim of the proposed setup is very similar to 4-f system for inverse Fourier transform/reconstruct the aperture.
My problem was that the focal length of the 2nd len doesn't placed exactly on the Fourier plane (displaced by less than 1[cm]). because of the experience in the lab I assumed that this minor displacement won't change much of my answer - maybe we won't get the perfect transform by means of visibility, but in general that what we will see on the screen --> the inverse transform.
yes it's contradict the theory, but as i realized that the theory have a little margins with actual experiments, I thinking maybe I am right in this case.

any help with theory and approval :) or disapproval :( will be nice.
I'm planing the rebuild this setup...

Attachments

• Fourier-setup.jpg
    Fourier-setup.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 434
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question and experience in the electro-optics lab. It sounds like you have a good understanding of the purpose of the optical Fourier setup and its similarity to the 4-f system for inverse Fourier transform. However, I would caution against assuming that a minor displacement of the focal length of the second lens will not significantly affect the results. Even small changes in the setup can have a big impact on the final outcome, especially in experiments involving optics.
I would recommend consulting with your lab instructor or a more experienced scientist in the field to get a better understanding of the theory and how to properly set up the optical Fourier setup for accurate results. It's always better to be sure and have a solid understanding of the underlying principles before conducting any experiments.
Best of luck with your rebuild and further experiments!

Related to Understanding Fourier Optics in Electro-Optics Lab: Theory vs Experiment

What is Fourier optics?

Fourier optics is a branch of optics that studies the behavior of light in terms of its spatial or temporal frequency components. It uses mathematical techniques, specifically the Fourier transform, to understand the propagation of light and its interaction with optical systems.

How does Fourier optics relate to electro-optics lab?

In electro-optics lab, Fourier optics is used to analyze and design optical systems, such as lenses and filters, that manipulate light for various applications. By understanding the principles of Fourier optics, scientists and engineers can optimize the performance of electro-optical devices.

What is the difference between theory and experiment in Fourier optics?

Theory in Fourier optics refers to the mathematical models and equations that describe the behavior of light, while experiment refers to the practical implementation of these theories in real-world optical systems. Theory provides a framework for understanding the fundamental principles of Fourier optics, while experiment allows for testing and validation of these theories.

What are some common applications of Fourier optics in electro-optics?

Some common applications of Fourier optics in electro-optics include image processing, holography, laser beam shaping, and optical communications. Fourier optics is also used in the design of optical sensors, optical computing, and medical imaging systems.

What are some challenges in understanding Fourier optics in electro-optics lab?

Some challenges in understanding Fourier optics in electro-optics lab include the complexity of the mathematical concepts involved, the need for specialized equipment and software, and the potential for experimental errors. It is important for scientists to have a strong foundation in mathematics and optics to effectively apply Fourier optics in the lab.