1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding gases

1. Feb 2, 2012 #1
    50 minutes into this video the professor puts a balloon into liquid nitrogen that's about 1/4 of the room temperature, but its volume decreases to much less than 1/4 of its original volume. Why?

Right after the balloon demo, he talks about tennis balls. Why if you open up a can of tennis balls, don't play with them for a few days, do they become useless? And how does this relate to whether the pressure in the sealed can of tennis balls was less than or greater that 1 atm?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2012 #2
    I figured out the bolded! It's because a large percentage of the air in the balloon condenses at such a low temperature.

I still have no idea about the 2nd question though. Please watch the video starting at the 51:30 mark to hear it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Feb 3, 2012 #3
  5. Feb 3, 2012 #4
    Thanks James. I now understand all the puzzles that are given at the end of the 1st semester MIT physics lectures. I highly recommend the lectures to other beginners.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook