Understanding Hausdorff Dimension of 1-d Line

• Thread starter Aerostd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimension
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Hausdorff dimension and how it relates to the Lebesgue measure. It is stated that the two-dimensional Hausdorff dimension of a one-dimensional line is zero, and this is explained using the example of covering the line with rectangles with lengths of one coordinate equal to zero. However, when using circles to cover the line for Hausdorff measures, there is confusion about how to make the two-dimensional measure zero. It is then mentioned that the Hausdorff measure is related to the Lebesgue measure by a constant factor, and if something has measure zero for Lebesgue, it also has measure zero for Hausdorff. The suggestion to look up the proof
Aerostd
Hi,

I had a question about understanding some basic thing about the Hausdorff dimension. Specifically, I'm trying to understand why the two dimensional Hausdorff dimension of a 1-d line is zero.

In terms of the two dimensional Lebesgue measure, I can see that I can cover the line by a countable union of rectangles, where each rectangle has length of one coordinate = 0.

For example, Suppose the line is [0,1] and lies on the x axis. Then I can cover it with rectangles with their length in the y dimension zero, and in the end, I would have to sum up the measure of each rectangle, and each rectangle would have

m( A_{i} x B_{i} ) = m(A_{i}) m_(B_{i}) = 0. (where A_{i} is in X and B_{i} is in Y)

So I can see how a two dimensional Lebesgue measure of a one dimensional line is zero.

However for Hausdorff measures, I have to use circles to cover the line. I'm not able to visualize this. Can I make the radius so small that it only covers a single number? But in that case I would need an uncountable number of circles? I'm confused since the definition of a Hausdorff measure only let's me control the radius of the n-balls and not anything else, so I can't understand how to play around with the radius to make the two Hausdorff measure zero when covering a line in 1 dimension.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a theorem that the n-dimensional Hausdorff measure is related to the n-dimensional Lebesgue measure. Thus if H is the n-dimensional Hausdorff measure, and if L is the Lebesgue measure, than there is a constant factor c such that H=cL.

In particular, if something has measure zero for Lebesgue measure, then it has measure zero for Hausdorff measure. Maybe you could look up that proof?

1. What is Hausdorff dimension?

Hausdorff dimension is a mathematical concept used to measure the size or dimension of a geometric object. It was introduced by mathematician Felix Hausdorff in 1918 and is often used to describe the complexity or fractal nature of a shape.

2. How is Hausdorff dimension related to the 1-d line?

The Hausdorff dimension of a 1-d line is simply 1. This means that a 1-d line has a dimension of 1, which is the same as its topological dimension (the number of coordinates needed to specify a point on the line). In general, the Hausdorff dimension of an object is equal to its topological dimension if the object is smooth and regular.

3. How is Hausdorff dimension calculated?

To calculate the Hausdorff dimension of a 1-d line, we use a mathematical formula known as the Hausdorff-Besicovitch dimension formula. This formula involves taking the logarithm of the number of sets needed to cover the object at different scales and then dividing by the logarithm of the scaling factor. For a 1-d line, the scaling factor is 1 (since we are looking at scales in 1 dimension) and the number of sets needed to cover the line at different scales is always 2 (since a line can always be covered by 2 points).

4. What does a Hausdorff dimension of 1 mean for a 1-d line?

A Hausdorff dimension of 1 for a 1-d line means that it has a finite length, and that its length can be easily measured using traditional methods. It also means that the line does not exhibit any fractal or self-similar properties, and can be represented by a single coordinate system.

5. Why is understanding Hausdorff dimension of 1-d line important?

Understanding the Hausdorff dimension of a 1-d line can provide insight into the complexity and structure of geometric objects. It can also be used to distinguish between different types of lines, such as smooth lines and fractal lines, and can be applied to other mathematical concepts such as measure theory and geometry. Additionally, understanding the Hausdorff dimension of 1-d lines can have practical applications in fields such as computer graphics and image processing.