Understanding maximum power transfer theorem

In summary, the power transfer theorem states that power can be transferred between two resistors when the voltage dropped across the resistors is the same. The theorem is easily proved by doing some math.
PainterGuy
Hi :)

I'm trying to understand 'background' working of the maximum power transfer which says that power transfer takes place across R_L when it is equal to R_th (R_L is load resistance and R_th is Thevenin resistance). It is easily proved by doing some math.

P=VI, P=I^2.R, P=V^2/R, V=IR

Let's focus on P=V^2/R_L. To have maximum power transfer to R_L, V should be as large as power (V is volts dropped across R_L). V across R_L could be found using voltage divider rule: (R_L x E)/(R_L + R_th). Further R_L should be as little as possible because it is denominator. But also note that making R_L smaller would reduce the volts dropped across R_L.

But now focus on P=I^2.R_L. Compare it with the previous analysis of P=V^2/R_L. In (I^2.R_L), R_L should be as large as possible which is in contrast with the previous analysis which required R_L to be minimum. So some compromise is needed. But there is another point to note. R_L and R_th are in series so if R_L is made too big then the value of I would drop.

I hope you could see where I'm coming from (or, rather trying to come from! :) ). Could you please help me to really understand the working of maximum power transfer theorem? Many thanks.

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are absolutely right that it is a "compromise". Not surprisingly, this comes at a point of great symmetry. Let's imagine that we have a 5V power supply with 1-ohm V_th. If the load resistor has a value of x (so we can vary it), what is the expression for power across the load resistor?

Wolfram Alpha Expression

Last edited:
Power is a combination of voltage and current. If you have 0 load resistance, you have no voltage dropped across it. But if you have infinite load resistance, you will have no current.

I used King's formula to make a better plot with Wolfram. It shows the load power for a 5V 50 ohm source relative to the load resistance. You can clearly see that the plot peaks at the 50 ohm mark.

Many thanks, King, Ninja, for the help.

Cheers

There's a better way of proving it by using calculus, if you have the background. My professor in a circuit analysis course did this. Find the equation of power for the load resistor and then take it's derivative with respect to RL. Make Vg(source voltage) and Rth(source impedance) constants, though, to simplify the differentiation. The load resistor value for which the derivative of the power is 0 is the value that will achieve maximum power transfer.
http://iamsuhasm.wordpress.com/2009/04/27/proof-for-the-maximum-power-transfer-theorem/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again,

Just curious to know if there is also a minimum power transfer theorem of some kind.

When R_L is not equal to R_Th, then the power dissipated by the R_L won't be maximum. Is this because of the voltage drop across R_Th?

Please help me out. Thank you

Cheers

1. What is the maximum power transfer theorem?

The maximum power transfer theorem is a fundamental principle in electrical engineering that states that the maximum amount of power will be transferred from a source to a load when the load resistance is equal to the source resistance. This theorem is based on Ohm's law and is used to optimize the efficiency of electrical systems.

2. How does the maximum power transfer theorem work?

The maximum power transfer theorem works by balancing the source resistance and the load resistance. When the load resistance is equal to the source resistance, the current flowing through the circuit is at its maximum and the power transferred is also at its maximum. This ensures that the most efficient use of power is achieved.

3. Why is the maximum power transfer theorem important?

The maximum power transfer theorem is important because it allows engineers to design and optimize electrical systems for maximum efficiency. By understanding this theorem, engineers can ensure that the correct load resistance is chosen for a given source resistance, maximizing the power output and minimizing energy loss.

4. What are the limitations of the maximum power transfer theorem?

One limitation of the maximum power transfer theorem is that it assumes a linear system with only resistive elements. In reality, most electrical systems contain non-linear components such as capacitors and inductors, which can affect the transfer of power. Additionally, the theorem only applies to DC circuits and may not be accurate for AC circuits.

5. How is the maximum power transfer theorem used in real-life applications?

The maximum power transfer theorem is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as audio systems, power supplies, and telecommunications networks. By applying this theorem, engineers can design systems that are more efficient and can deliver maximum power to the intended load. It is also used in solar power systems to optimize the transfer of energy from solar panels to batteries or the power grid.