Understanding Mercury's Precession

• Thread starter OnceKnown
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precession
In summary: Also, if you are using Einstein's equation, make sure you're using the right form of the equation, with the correct mass and radius.In summary, the problem with the lab assignment is that the units do not match and the equations are incorrect.
OnceKnown
I was recently given a lab to work at home but I am having trouble understanding the formulas that they have used.

The link to this lab Assignment:
http://classroom.sdmesa.edu/ssiegel/Physics%20197/labs/Mercury%20Precession.pdf

My problem relies to Query #1 of the lab assignment, with the equation
[itex]\frac{V(r)}{m}[/itex] = - [itex]\frac{M}{r}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{(\frac{L}{m})^{2}}{r^{2}}[/itex]

I derived it to be equal to:
[itex]\frac{d}{dr}[/itex] [itex]\frac{V(r)}{m}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{M}{r^{2}}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{2(\frac{L}{m})^{2}}{r^{3}}[/itex]

So I was told that M = mass of the Sun = 1.99 x 10[itex]^{30}[/itex] kg
m = mass of Mercury = 3.28 x 10[itex]^{23}[/itex] kg
L = angular momentum of Mercury = 9.11 x 10 [itex]^{38}[/itex] [itex]\frac{kg m^{2}}{s^{2}}[/itex]

I equated the derived equation to 0 and solved for " r " to get:
r[itex]_{o}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{2(\frac{L}{m})^{2}}{M}[/itex]

which r[itex]_{o}[/itex] = 7.729, which should be the radius at the effective potential minimum

But that doesn't make sense at all since the number is so low and the units doesn't seem right.
Can someone help with this?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
M/r should be GM/r with the gravitational constant G.

Hi Mfb,

The equations were based off Newton's attempt to study Mercury's precession. And the point of the lab is to see why he was off in his calculations.

I'm wondering if the GM/r with with the gravitational constant G was used for the first attempt to calculate Mercury's precession by Newtonian methods?

Thank you for your help!

Of course. You need the gravitational constant both in Newtonian gravity and General Relativity, otherwise the equations do not make sense (and the units to not match either).

I have one last question on the lab assignment regarding to Query #5.

I'm getting an incorrect expression when working with Einstein's equation to determine the perihelion of Mercury. At the end of the equation I'm getting a negative number within the radical of my 2nd pic near the end.

I don't know if I did a calculation incorrectly or the formula was given to me incorrectly. I also added in the gravitational constant G to the formula.

1st Page:
38d9454e-7706-4f90-b903-0246a5047d03_zpsdf163876.jpg

2nd Page:
image-1_zps5276ba49.jpe

Let me know if you can read the images, sorry for the small writing.

The units in the last equation do not match. Just check them in your formulas, and you will find the error.

1. What is Mercury's precession and why is it significant?

Mercury's precession is the gradual shift in the orientation of its axis of rotation. It is significant because it affects the planet's orbit and can impact its climate and weather patterns.

2. What causes Mercury's precession?

The primary cause of Mercury's precession is the gravitational pull of the Sun and the other planets in the solar system. Additionally, the planet's elliptical orbit and its slightly non-spherical shape also contribute to its precession.

3. How long does it take for Mercury to complete one precession cycle?

Mercury's precession cycle takes approximately 3,000 years to complete. This is much longer than the precession cycles of other planets in our solar system.

4. How does Mercury's precession affect its climate?

Mercury's precession can cause changes in the planet's climate over long periods of time. As the axis of rotation shifts, different regions of the planet may receive more or less sunlight, leading to changes in temperature and weather patterns.

5. Can Mercury's precession be observed from Earth?

Yes, Mercury's precession can be observed from Earth using advanced telescopes and precise measurements. However, since it takes thousands of years to complete one cycle, it may not be noticeable within a human lifetime.