Understanding Power Dissipation in Resistors and Ohm's Law

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the power dissipation of a resistor and determining the power distribution between two resistors in a circuit. It is concluded that the power of the battery is equal to the sum of all power dissipation of the resistors, regardless of their arrangement.
delsoo

Homework Statement

i let r = 1 ohm, so i get effective r = 1.5 ohm, , since P=VI, i get my I = 8A, so i get the power dissipation of RESISTOR P = 8W , so the 4W remaining for both Q AND R , why power of R is 2W? i hope someone can explain this.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• DSC_0151~2[1].jpg
    DSC_0151~2[1].jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 378
Physics news on Phys.org
delsoo said:

Homework Statement

i let r = 1 ohm, so i get effective r = 1.5 ohm, , since P=VI, i get my I = 8A, so i get the power dissipation of RESISTOR P = 8W , so the 4W remaining for both Q AND R , why power of R is 2W? i hope someone can explain this.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

You can not choose the resistance arbitrary. All resistors have the same resistance, r, an unknown.Find the expression of the current in terms of r, knowing the total power supplied by the battery.
Your argument is correct otherwise. The power is really 8 W through the resistor P, and 4 W on Q and R altogether. The resistors are identical, so the power must be the same on each, adding up to 4 W.

ehild

Last edited:
First, you seem to have flipped the statement of the problem and the attempted solution.

Second, your post will be easier to read and will thus tend to get more responses if you use normal orthography.

Third, there is no reason or justification for assigning a particular value to the resistance of each resistor; just use [itex]r[/itex] or some such, and just use [itex]I[/itex] for the current. In fact, you don't really need to do much calculating for this problem.

Fourth, to answer your question, start by thinking of Q and R as a single resistor, and then think of what proportion of the total power would be dissipated in P and in the Q/R combination. Then think of Q and R separately, and how the power dissipated in each must be related.

ehild said:
You can not choose the resistance arbitrary. All resistors have the same resistance, r, an unknown.Find the expression of the current in terms of r, knowing the total power supplied by the battery.
Your argument is correct otherwise. The power is really 8 W through the resistor P, and 4 W on Q and R altogether. The resistors are identical, so the power must be the same on each, adding up to 4 W.

ehild

can i say that the power of battery is equal to the sum of all power dissipation of resistor independent of the arrangement of the resistor. which means no matter how the arrangement resistor , the sum of all power of resistor = power of battery?

delsoo said:
can i say that the power of battery is equal to the sum of all power dissipation of resistor independent of the arrangement of the resistor. which means no matter how the arrangement resistor , the sum of all power of resistor = power of battery?

Yes.

ehild

1. What is power dissipation in resistors?

Power dissipation in resistors refers to the amount of heat energy that is dissipated by a resistor when an electric current flows through it. This heat energy is typically measured in watts and is a result of the conversion of electrical energy into thermal energy.

2. How is power dissipation related to Ohm's Law?

According to Ohm's Law, the current flowing through a resistor is directly proportional to the voltage applied across it and inversely proportional to the resistance of the resistor. Therefore, as the current increases, the power dissipation also increases, since more electrical energy is being converted into heat energy.

3. What factors affect power dissipation in resistors?

The main factors that affect power dissipation in resistors are the current flowing through the resistor, the voltage applied across it, and the resistance of the resistor. Additionally, the ambient temperature and the material and size of the resistor can also play a role in the amount of power dissipated.

4. How can power dissipation be minimized in resistors?

To minimize power dissipation in resistors, the current flowing through the resistor can be reduced by using a larger resistance value or by lowering the applied voltage. Additionally, using resistors with higher power ratings and choosing materials with lower resistance can also help to decrease power dissipation.

5. What are the potential consequences of excessive power dissipation in resistors?

Excessive power dissipation in resistors can lead to a variety of issues such as overheating, which can cause the resistor to fail or even damage surrounding components. It can also result in a decrease in the overall efficiency and performance of the circuit. Therefore, it is important to consider power dissipation when designing and using resistors in electronic circuits.