Understanding Pressure in a Bottle: The Science Behind Maria's Crumpled Bottle

• Thread starter Drizzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary: So variations in the atmospheric pressure (on a day-to-day basis) can be somewhat significant, especially near the Earth's poles.
Drizzy

Homework Statement

Maria has an empty bottle with a cork in her backpack. One cold winter day when she had been out skiing, she opened the backpack and she saw that the bottle had been crumpled together. What happened and why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was that the molecules in the bottle didn't get enough energy so they didn't exert a high pressure on the bottle so the pressure outside was bigger. But then I realized that the temperature outside the bottle and inside is the same so why didn't all the molecules in the atmosphere have a smaller pressure on the bottle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you think Maria filled the bottle?

at home maybe :)

So how do the conditions differ between her home and up a cold mountain?

there are less molecules in the bottle because the have a higher energy so they take up more space

Drizzy said:

Homework Statement

Maria has an empty bottle with a cork in her backpack. One cold winter day when she had been out skiing, she opened the backpack and she saw that the bottle had been crumpled together. What happened and why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was that the molecules in the bottle didn't get enough energy so they didn't exert a high pressure on the bottle so the pressure outside was bigger. But then I realized that the temperature outside the bottle and inside is the same so why didn't all the molecules in the atmosphere have a smaller pressure on the bottle?
Does the pressure of the atmosphere really change when the temperature gets colder outside, or is it determined by the weight of the overlying atmosphere?

I don't know, but the pressure is lower in the mountains and so is the temperature :P

Drizzy said:
I don't know, but the pressure is lower in the mountains and so is the temperature :P
Who says she was skiing on a mountain? Maybe she was doing cross country skiing at sea level. What then?

Chet

Why doesn't the atmospheric pressure decrease in colder temperatures?

Drizzy said:
Why doesn't the atmospheric pressure decrease in colder temperatures?
What are your thoughts on this?

there will be less gas in the atmosphere maybe :P because if I look at pV=nRT
R is constant, T decreases, V is constant and if p doesn't change then n has to increase

Drizzy said:
there will be less gas in the atmosphere maybe :P because if I look at pV=nRT
R is constant, T decreases, V is constant and if p doesn't change then n has to increase
Does atmospheric pressure vary with altitude? Does atmospheric temperature vary with altitude? If so, what value of these parameters do you use in the ideal gas law (since the atmosphere is not uniform)? Do you really think that, for purposes of solving your problem, changes in n (the total number of moles of gas in the atmosphere) on a day-to-day basis can be significant?

Chet

I don't know why the atmospheric pressure is the same everywhere

Drizzy said:
I don't know why the atmospheric pressure is the same everywhere
Again, look at Chet's post. Does atmospheric pressure vary? If so, how?

well, I have read about winds and there is something called low pressure and high pressure. So the atmospheric pressure shouldn't be the same everywhere but maybe the difference isn't high enough to affect the bottle

Drizzy said:
well, I have read about winds and there is something called low pressure and high pressure. So the atmospheric pressure shouldn't be the same everywhere but maybe the difference isn't high enough to affect the bottle
The atmosphere is not in a solid container like the air in bottle, so the pressure is much more free to readjust to local temperature changes. In addition, gravity strongly affects the pressure of the air, so that the pressure decreases substantially with altitude. The ideal gas law cannot be applied to the entire atmosphere as a whole, because, if pressure and temperature vary, what values do you use in the equation? Even though the air pressure at ground level varies somewhat as a result of weather changes, the variations are typically pretty small (usually, not more than about 5%). Look up on Google the daily atmospheric pressure variations in your local area. The average pressure of the atmosphere at sea level (per square meter) is basically determined by the average weight of the 1 square meter column of air above that location.

1. How does pressure affect the crumpling of the bottle?

The pressure inside the bottle is what causes the bottle to crumple. When the bottle is sealed, the air inside it is at a higher pressure than the air outside. As the bottle is squeezed, the pressure inside increases, causing the bottle to crumple.

2. Why does the bottle crumple when it is squeezed?

The bottle crumples when it is squeezed because of the relationship between pressure and volume. When the volume of a gas is decreased, the pressure increases. This is due to the gas particles colliding more frequently with the walls of the bottle, creating a higher pressure.

3. What factors can affect the pressure inside the bottle?

The pressure inside the bottle can be affected by temperature, volume, and the number of gas particles present. For example, if the bottle is heated, the air inside will expand and the pressure will increase. Similarly, if more gas is added to the bottle, the pressure will also increase.

4. Can the bottle be crumpled without any external force?

No, the bottle cannot be crumpled without any external force. The air pressure inside the bottle must be increased in order for it to crumple. This can be done by squeezing or heating the bottle, but some external force must be applied to change the pressure inside.

5. How does the concept of pressure relate to everyday objects and activities?

Pressure is a fundamental concept in physics that can be applied to many everyday objects and activities. For example, the pressure of a gas in a tire is what allows it to support the weight of a car. The pressure of our atmosphere is what allows us to breathe and for plants to photosynthesize. Understanding pressure can also help explain things like why a balloon pops when too much air is blown into it or why soda fizzes when a can is opened.