Understanding Standing Wave Sign Conventions

In summary: So the amplitude is -8 and it is negative because of the initial - sign in front of the reflected wave's amplitude. This same logic applies to the other two cases as well.In summary, the sign in front of the amplitude in the standing wave equation is determined by the opposite sign of the reflected wave's amplitude compared to the incoming wave's amplitude. This can be further explained using algebra and trigonometric identities.
AmandaWoohoo
Hi.
Okay, this has been driving me crazy. When combining two given waves into a standing wave equation, how do you know which sign to put in front of the amplitude? All the examples I've been finding seem to contradict each other. Here are three examples from my textbook:

1. Incoming Wave:
y=4sin[2pi(t)-6pi(x)]

Reflected Wave:
y=-4sin[2pi(t)+6pi(x)]

Standing Wave:
y=-8cos3(pi)t*sin6(pi)x

---------------------------

2. Incoming Wave
y=-4sin[2pi(t)+6pi(x)]

Reflected Wave:
y=4sin[2pi(t)-6pi(x)]

Standing Wave:
y=8cos3(pi)t*sin6(pi)x

3. Incoming:
y=-8sin[2(pi)t-7(pi)x]

Reflected Wave:
y=8sin[2(pi)t+7(pi)x]

Standing:
y=16cos2(pi)t*sin7(pi)x

Help?!?
How do I know when it's positive or when it's negative?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well there is at least one common denominator to all there cases. In each of them, the reflected wave's amplitude is of opposite sign to the incoming one. The resulting amplitude in the standing wave is a result of algebra. For exemple, for the first:

1. Incoming Wave:
y=4sin[2pi(t)-6pi(x)]

Reflected Wave:
y=-4sin[2pi(t)+6pi(x)]

Standing = Incoming + Reflected = 4sin[2pi(t)-6pi(x)] - 4sin[2pi(t)+6pi(x)] = 4{sin[2pi(t)-6pi(x)]+sin[-2pi(t)-6pi(x)]}

I used the fact that -sin(x) = sin(-x). Now I'll use the identity sin(A-B)+sin(A+B)=2sinAcosB with A= -6pi(x) and B=-2pi(t):

Standing = 8sin[-6pi(x)]cos[-2pi(t)] = -8sin[6pi(x)]cos[2pi(t)]

I used again the identity -sin(x) = sin(-x) as well as cos(x) = cos(-x).

I understand that it can be frustrating when different sources seem to contradict each other. However, it is important to remember that different conventions and notations may be used by different authors or in different fields of study. In the case of standing wave equations, the sign convention for the amplitude is dependent on the specific context and setup of the problem.

In general, the sign in front of the amplitude represents the direction of the wave's displacement. For example, in the first example you provided, the incoming wave has a positive amplitude because it is moving in the positive direction (to the right), while the reflected wave has a negative amplitude because it is moving in the negative direction (to the left).

In the second example, the sign convention is reversed because the incoming wave is now moving in the negative direction (to the left) and the reflected wave is moving in the positive direction (to the right).

In the third example, the sign convention is different because the waves are now traveling in the opposite direction (from left to right instead of right to left).

In summary, the sign in front of the amplitude is dependent on the direction of the wave's displacement and can vary depending on the specific problem or setup. It is important to carefully consider the context and use consistent notation throughout your work. If you are unsure about a particular convention, it is always best to clarify with your instructor or consult multiple sources.

Related to Understanding Standing Wave Sign Conventions

What is a standing wave?

A standing wave is a type of wave that occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. The result is a wave pattern that appears to be standing still, hence the name "standing wave."

What is a standing wave sign convention?

The standing wave sign convention is a set of rules used to determine the direction and magnitude of wave amplitudes in a standing wave. It helps to identify the nodes and antinodes, which are points of maximum and minimum amplitude, respectively, in a standing wave.

How do you determine the sign of a standing wave?

The sign of a standing wave is determined by looking at the direction of wave propagation. If the wave is moving towards the observer, it is considered positive. If the wave is moving away from the observer, it is considered negative. This convention is used to determine the sign of the wave amplitudes in a standing wave.

Why is understanding standing wave sign conventions important?

Understanding standing wave sign conventions is important because it allows us to accurately describe and analyze standing waves. It helps us to identify the nodes and antinodes, and to determine the amplitude and direction of the wave at any point in the standing wave. This information is crucial in various fields, such as acoustics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

How can standing wave sign conventions be applied in real-life situations?

Standing wave sign conventions can be applied in various real-life situations, such as musical instruments, microwave ovens, and radio antennas. In musical instruments, standing waves are responsible for creating different frequencies and producing different notes. In microwave ovens, standing waves are used to evenly distribute the heat and cook the food. In radio antennas, standing waves are used to transmit and receive signals with maximum efficiency.