Understanding strain in stiffness matrix

In summary: The way you are doing it, the strain at either node is u1/l or u2/l. In summary, the strain in a member with two nodes, one fixed and one free, can be calculated using the formula e=(u1-u2)/l or e=(u2-u1)/l, depending on which node is fixed. This formula is important in understanding the elastic behavior of the member and how it can exceed its elastic limit.
xp8pbp

Homework Statement

node1 node2
O---------------------------------------O

a rod with 2 nodes:
x1=axial force at node1
x2=axial force at node2
u1,axial deflection at node1
u2,axial deflection at node2
l=elements length
E=young's modulus
A=cross sectional area of rod element
e=strain

I don't understand why at node 1:

e=(u1-u2)/l

and from equilibrium considerations at node 2:

e=(u2-u1)/l

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From what i understand, if one end is fixed say node2 then strain at node 1 will be:
u1/l

and if node1 is fixed then strain at node2:
u2/l

at node 1, if i assume that the direction of force/displacement from node1 to node2 is positive isn't that supposed to be negative because of compression?

and i don't understand how u1-u2 or u2-u1 works? Can somebody explain it to me and give me an example?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello xpp8 welcome to PF

strain is defined as deflection per unit length, i.e. [tex]\epsilon = \frac{\delta}{L_0}[/tex] where [tex]\delta = L' - L_0[/tex] i.e. the change in length of the member due to the axial force. where [tex] L_0[/tex] is the original length and [tex]L'[/tex] is the new length.

[tex]\epsilon [/tex] is important because a large deflection for a small length can easily allow the member the exceed the elastic limit or [tex]\sigma_{y}[/tex] and become plastic or permanently deformed.

Try it...stretch a small rubber band -of length [tex] a [/tex] fixed at one end for some large [tex]\delta [/tex] just before it pops, it can probably remain elastic. then stretch an even smaller rubber band say of length [tex]\frac{1}{5}a [/tex] do you think the smaller of the two can withstand the same [tex]\delta [/tex]? no

This is characterized by strain [tex]\epsilon = \frac{\delta}{L_0}[/tex]

Hi djeitnstine,

How do i relate (L'-Lo)/Lo with e=(u1-u2)/l ?

if in equilibrium(tension/compression with X1=-X2, E and A are constant) U1 and U2 will be the same in magnitude but different in direction, what about in non-equilibrium(X1 not equal to -X2 ) state where the direction and magnitude might be different. How do i visualize such elastic behaviour?

Seems like a strange sign convention. Let's assume node 1 is fixed, and node 2 is free to move, and the member is in tension and in equilibrium. Then the displacement u1 of node 1 is 0, the displacement of node 2 is u2 to the right, and the strain at either node node is u2/l. If node 2 is fixed and node 1 is free, then u2 is 0 and the displacement of node 1 is u1 to the left, and the strain at either node is u1/l. If both nodes 1 and 2 are both free to move, let's say equally from the mid point, then u1 = u2, and the displacement of node 1 is u1 to the left, the displacemnt of node 2 is u2 to the right, and the strain is (u1 + u2)/l at either node. In all cases, the strain is the same. Your formula seems to choose a sign convention that calls strain positive if the deformation is to the right, and negative if it is to the left. It's all in the plus and minus sign.

1. What is the stiffness matrix and how is it related to strain?

The stiffness matrix is a mathematical representation of a material's resistance to deformation or strain. It relates the applied stress to the resulting strain in a material, and can be used to calculate the material's stiffness or rigidity.

2. How do we calculate the stiffness matrix for a material?

The stiffness matrix is typically calculated using experimental data or through theoretical modeling. It involves measuring the relationship between stress and strain for different loading conditions and then using linear regression to determine the coefficients of the stiffness matrix.

3. Can the stiffness matrix be used to predict the behavior of a material under different loading conditions?

Yes, the stiffness matrix can be used to predict the material's response to different loads. By applying different strain values to the stiffness matrix, we can calculate the resulting stress and determine how the material will behave under those conditions.

4. What is the significance of understanding strain in the stiffness matrix?

Understanding strain in the stiffness matrix allows us to accurately predict the behavior of a material under different loading conditions. This is crucial in engineering and design, as it helps us choose the right materials for a specific application and ensure the structural integrity of a design.

5. How does the stiffness matrix vary for different materials?

The stiffness matrix varies for different materials based on their properties, such as elasticity, density, and strength. Materials with a higher stiffness matrix are more rigid and resistant to deformation, while materials with a lower stiffness matrix are more flexible and prone to strain. The stiffness matrix also varies based on the direction of load and the type of loading, such as tension, compression, or shear.