Understanding Sylow Subgroups of S4: The Logic Behind Grouping Elements

• Thread starter will8655
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the number of Sylow subgroups in S4, which can be determined using Sylow's Theorems. The notes argue that there must be 3 Sylow 2-subgroups and 4 Sylow 3-subgroups, based on the number of elements of order 2 and 3 in S4. The reasoning behind this is that an element of order 2 must belong to a Sylow 2-subgroup, and since there are 9 such elements in S4, they cannot all fit in a subgroup of order 8. The conversation also mentions an alternative argument using the normality of Sylow subgroups.
will8655
I'm reading some notes concerning Sylow subgroups of S4:

Since #S4 = 24 = 3 . 2^3 from Sylow's Theorems we know there are either 1 or 4 Sylow 3-subgroups and either 1 or 3 Sylow 2-subgroups.

The question I have regards how we narrow this down:

My notes argue that since S4 has 9 elements of order 2, they cannot all fit in a subgroup of order 8 and so we must have 3 Sylow 2-subgroups. Similarly we must have 4 Sylow 3-subgroups.

I don't quite follow this reasoning, why must all elements of order 2 lie in a Sylow 2-subgroup? For instance, why couldn't we have some of them lying in a subgroup of order 6?

I know you can argue that if there is only one Sylow subgroup then it must be normal and hence a union of conjugacy classes and get a contradiction that way, but I'd like to understand the logic behind the above reasoning.

Thanks
Will

Physics news on Phys.org
The given argument is simply using the fact that an element of order 2 must belong to a Sylow 2-subgroup. (Because such an element generates a 2-group, which must be contained in a maximal 2-group, i.e. a Sylow 2-subgroup.) It could still belong to a subgroup of order 6, of course.

Ah I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

Related to Understanding Sylow Subgroups of S4: The Logic Behind Grouping Elements

1. What is a Sylow subgroup of S4?

A Sylow subgroup of S4 is a subgroup of the permutation group S4 that has a prime power order. In other words, it is a subgroup that contains a specific number of elements that is a power of a prime number.

2. How many Sylow subgroups does S4 have?

S4 has 4 Sylow subgroups, each of which has 4 elements. These subgroups are generated by the cycles (123), (124), (134), and (234).

3. What is the significance of Sylow subgroups in group theory?

Sylow subgroups play a crucial role in the study of finite groups. They provide important information about the structure of a group, such as the number of subgroups and the order of the group. They also help in the classification of groups and can be used to prove the existence of certain types of groups.

4. How are Sylow subgroups related to the concept of conjugacy classes?

Sylow subgroups are related to conjugacy classes in the sense that every element of a Sylow subgroup belongs to the same conjugacy class. This means that the elements of a Sylow subgroup can be transformed into each other by conjugation, which is an important property in group theory.

5. Can Sylow subgroups be used to determine the normal subgroups of S4?

Yes, Sylow subgroups can be used to determine the normal subgroups of S4. In fact, S4 has only one normal subgroup, which is the identity subgroup. This can be proven using the Sylow theorems, which state that if a subgroup has a prime power order, it is a normal subgroup.