Understanding the Fat Cantor Set & Proving Its Measure

In summary, a fat cantor set is a variation of the Cantor set where, at each stage, a smaller fraction of each interval is removed. It can be shown that the fat cantor set has a positive Lebesgue measure and does not contain any interval. This is achieved by using a sequence of positive numbers and removing the middle portion of each interval according to the value of the sequence at that stage. The fat cantor set is also known as the Smith-Volterra-Cantor set and can be formed by removing less than 1/3 of the interval at each stage.
math8
What is the definition of a fat cantor set? How do I show that the fat cantor set has positive Lebesgue measure and does not contain any interval.

I know for the cantor set that at each stage, we remove the middle third of each interval starting with [0,1]. I am wondering if instead for the fat Cantor set, there is maybe a sequence of positive numbers {cn} and at the stage n, we need to remove the middle cnth of each interval but in this case, should the cn be odd?
I know how to prove that the cantor set has measure 0 and that it contains no interval, but I am not sure how to proceed for the fat cantor set.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, that is very helpful.

Related to Understanding the Fat Cantor Set & Proving Its Measure

What is the Fat Cantor Set?

The Fat Cantor Set is a fractal set that is created by removing a middle portion of a line segment and repeating the process on the remaining line segments. This results in a set with infinitely many points, but with zero width.

Why is it called the "Fat" Cantor Set?

The Fat Cantor Set is called "fat" because it contains more points than the original Cantor Set, which is created by removing only one-third of the line segment at each iteration.

How is the measure of the Fat Cantor Set different from the original Cantor Set?

The measure of the Fat Cantor Set is greater than zero, while the measure of the original Cantor Set is equal to zero. This is because the Fat Cantor Set contains more points and thus has a greater "length" than the original Cantor Set.

How is the measure of the Fat Cantor Set determined?

The measure of the Fat Cantor Set can be determined by using the formula 1 - (1/3)^n, where n is the number of iterations. As n approaches infinity, the measure approaches 1, meaning the Fat Cantor Set covers almost the entire line segment.

Why is understanding the Fat Cantor Set and proving its measure important in mathematics?

The Fat Cantor Set is a fundamental example of a fractal set, which has important applications in various fields of mathematics, including chaos theory and dynamical systems. Understanding and proving its measure helps to deepen our understanding of fractals and their properties, and can lead to new discoveries and applications in mathematics and other sciences.