Understanding the LaPlace Transformation: A Guide for Solving Complex Integrals

In summary, the person is asking for help with the LaPlace transformation and provides an exercise showing the formula for L[f(t)]. They have attempted to solve it by parts twice but have not reached the correct answer. They ask for help and receive confirmation that their final answer is correct.
williamcarter
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
Dear PF members.
I am requesting again your help as I keep struggling with the LaPlace transformation.
I have this exercise to do(please see below)
Capture.PNG

We know that L[f(t)]= integral from 0 to infinity of f(t)*e^(-st) dt
thus in our case, L[f(t)]= integral from 0 to infinity of sin(t)*e^(-st) dt

I tried doing it by parts twice, however I can't reach their answer.Please look below
Capture2.PNG

Could you please show me how to solve it?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which part are you struggling with? Isn't your second attachment already the worked-out solution?

Likes williamcarter
williamcarter said:
Dear PF members.
I am requesting again your help as I keep struggling with the LaPlace transformation.
I have this exercise to do(please see below)
View attachment 109363

We know that L[f(t)]= integral from 0 to infinity of f(t)*e^(-st) dt
thus in our case, L[f(t)]= integral from 0 to infinity of sin(t)*e^(-st) dt

I tried doing it by parts twice, however I can't reach their answer.Please look below
View attachment 109364
Could you please show me how to solve it?

Thank you in advance.

It is against PF rules for us to "show you how to solve it". At most, we can offer hints. However, since you have already done all the work, I can tell you that your final answer is correct.

Furthermore, the way you did it is one of the ways I would have done it; the other way would have been to write ##\sin(t) = (e^{it} - e^{-it})/(2i)## and integrate the two terms separately.

Likes williamcarter
Thank you very much for confirming.

1. What is the LaPlace transformation and why is it important in scientific research?

The LaPlace transformation is a mathematical technique used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. This is important in scientific research because it allows for easier analysis and understanding of complex systems and phenomena.

2. How does the LaPlace transformation work?

The LaPlace transformation involves integrating a function with respect to time and multiplying it by the exponential function e^-st, where s is a complex variable. This results in a new function in the frequency domain.

3. What are the benefits of using the LaPlace transformation?

The LaPlace transformation has several benefits, including simplifying the analysis of complex systems, reducing the number of variables in a system, and allowing for the use of algebraic techniques to solve differential equations.

4. What are some common applications of the LaPlace transformation?

The LaPlace transformation is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics to solve problems involving differential equations. It is also used in signal processing, control systems, and circuit analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to using the LaPlace transformation?

While the LaPlace transformation is a powerful tool, it may not be suitable for all functions or systems. Some functions may not have a LaPlace transform, and in some cases, the inverse transformation may not exist. Additionally, the LaPlace transformation is only applicable to linear systems.