Understanding the Power of Elevator Lift Systems

In summary, The tension on the string in an elevator rising at a steady speed equals the weight of the elevator. When considering the energy difference of the whole system during a finite time, the velocity and power must be taken into account. The motor does work at a negative rate on the elevator and on the counterweight due to the force of gravity.
Janiceleong26

Homework Statement

image.jpg

Homework Equations

P=Fv

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the elevator is rising at a steady speed, a=0, thus, the tension on the string equals to the weight of the elevator. I chose C as I thought just for the elevator case, it would be m1gv, but how does m2 affects the power of the system?

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer C is not correct.

Imagine the movement within a finite time Δt (and therefore a change of position of Δh for both m1 and m2). What is the energy difference of the whole system during Δt?

Janiceleong26 said:
Since the elevator is rising at a steady speed, a=0, thus, the tension on the string equals to the weight of the elevator. I chose C as I thought just for the elevator case, it would be m1gv, but how does m2 affects the power of the system?
Yes, the motor is working at that rate in raising the elevator, but what is happening on the other side? How much power is being transferred, and which way, between the counterweight and the motor?

stockzahn said:
Answer C is not correct.

Imagine the movement within a finite time Δt (and therefore a change of position of Δh for both m1 and m2). What is the energy difference of the whole system during Δt?
Energy difference would be (m1-m2)gΔh ?

haruspex said:
Yes, the motor is working at that rate in raising the elevator, but what is happening on the other side? How much power is being transferred, and which way, between the counterweight and the motor?
m2gv, and anti-clockwise? But I thought power is scalar? Does the minus sign comes from the velocity?

Janiceleong26 said:
Energy difference would be (m1-m2)gΔh ?
Correct. And instead of distance and energy you need velocity and power - so what to do?

stockzahn said:
Correct. And instead of distance and energy you need velocity and power - so what to do?
Divide it by Δt and you will get velocity and (m1-m2)g is the force, so force times velocity gives power. I got it! Thanks!

Janiceleong26 said:
m2gv, and anti-clockwise? But I thought power is scalar? Does the minus sign comes from the velocity?
Even scalar values can have sign. If A does positive work on B then B does negative work on A.
If you take up as positive and gravity as -g then the motor does work at rate -m1(-g)v on the elevator and at rate -m2(-g)(-v) on m2.

haruspex said:
Even scalar values can have sign. If A does positive work on B then B does negative work on A.
If you take up as positive and gravity as -g then the motor does work at rate -m1(-g)v on the elevator and at rate -m2(-g)(-v) on m2.
Oh I see, thanks. But why is there a negative sign before the mass?

Janiceleong26 said:
Oh I see, thanks. But why is there a negative sign before the mass?
Because m(-g) is the force from gravity. The motor has to supply an equal and opposite force, -m(-g).

Likes Janiceleong26

Related to Understanding the Power of Elevator Lift Systems

1. What is the power of the lift system?

The power of the lift system refers to its ability to efficiently transport people or objects between different levels of a building or structure. This can be achieved through various mechanisms such as cables, pulleys, and motors.

2. How does the lift system work?

The lift system works by using a motor to power a pulley system that moves an elevator car up and down along guide rails. The motor is controlled by a control panel inside the elevator or by external buttons on each floor, allowing users to select their desired floor.

3. What are the different types of lift systems?

There are several types of lift systems, including hydraulic, traction, and pneumatic elevators. Hydraulic elevators use a fluid-driven piston to lift the elevator car, while traction elevators use cables and counterweights. Pneumatic elevators use air pressure to lift and lower the car.

4. How is the power of the lift system calculated?

The power of the lift system is typically calculated by multiplying the weight of the elevator car and its maximum capacity by the distance it travels and the speed at which it travels. This calculation can vary depending on the specific type and design of the lift system.

5. What are the safety measures in place for lift systems?

Lift systems have multiple safety measures in place to ensure the safety of passengers and prevent accidents. These include emergency brakes, overspeed governors, door sensors, and backup power supplies. Regular maintenance and inspections also help to ensure the safe operation of lift systems.