Understanding the Relationship between Variables in a Wave Equation

In summary: The equation of the function can be found by solving for x and y at specific points (x_0, y_0), then using the slope and y-intercept to determine the coordinates of any other points on the graph. In summary, the equation describes a wave, but there is no relationship between x and t. If t_0 is chosen, then x_0 and y_0 can be found, and the rest of the points on the graph can be determined by solving for x and y at those points.
bluestar
I am unable to determine the relationship between x and t in the following equation.

[tex]
y\left(x,t\right)=A\sin\left( kx-\omega t \right)\\
[/tex]

If [tex] \nu=\frac{x}{{t}}[/tex] then the numbers within the bracket goes to zero; because [tex] kx=\omega t [/tex]
for all points on y(x,t).

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
x and t are independent variables; there is no relationship between them. That equation describes a wave. Pick any time t_0, then you can look at the whole wave in space (along x). Pick a point x_0, and you can see how that point oscillates in time. Both can be looked at independently.

I set-up a spreadsheet and generated a sinusoidal wave starting at x0 which progresses parallel along the positive x-axis.
If I leave t=0, then any value I plugged in for x falls on the curve.
Likewise, if I left x=0, then any value I plugged in for t falls on the curve.

Does this mean when one variable has a value then the other must be 0?

No. It's a wave function of two free variables, x and t--longitudinal position and time. Pick any constant t and you have a standing wave at t. Let t be a variable to see the evolution of the wave over time.

Last edited:
I had trouble grasping the concept of how to graph a function depended on two variables. I found a site that presented a simple Gaussian wave and then progressed to a Gaussian Wave dependent on two variables. The page wraps up with a general equation of a cosine function dependent on two variable including axes offsets.

I found it to be a great site for explaining the implication of a function with two independent variable. Now I understand a little better what is happening in the wave equation.

http://resonanceswavesandfields.blogspot.com/2007/08/true-waves.html

bluestar said:
I had trouble grasping the concept of how to graph a function depended on two variables.

In 3D space a function of two variables can be drawn as a surface, wavy in both directions in your case.

Related to Understanding the Relationship between Variables in a Wave Equation

What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to study the propagation of waves, such as electromagnetic waves, sound waves, or water waves.

What are the variables in the wave equation?

The variables in the wave equation depend on the type of wave being studied, but they usually include parameters such as wavelength, frequency, amplitude, wave speed, and time. These variables are used to calculate the behavior and characteristics of the wave.

How is the wave equation derived?

The wave equation is derived from the principles of wave mechanics, which is based on the laws of motion and conservation of energy. It can also be derived from Maxwell's equations in the case of electromagnetic waves, or from the Navier-Stokes equations for fluid waves. The specific derivation process may vary depending on the type of wave being studied.

What is the significance of the wave equation?

The wave equation is a fundamental tool in understanding and predicting the behavior of waves. It allows scientists and engineers to analyze and manipulate waves in a variety of applications, such as in telecommunications, seismology, and acoustics. It also helps in the development of technologies that utilize waves, such as radios, sonar, and medical imaging devices.

Can the wave equation be applied to all types of waves?

While the wave equation is a powerful tool, it may not be applicable to all types of waves. For example, it does not accurately describe the behavior of nonlinear or dispersive waves. In these cases, more complex equations or models may be used to study the wave's behavior.