Understanding the Semicolon Usage in Meijer's G-Function Notation

• I
  • Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the use of semicolons in the notation for Meijer's G Function signifies the differentiation of scalars. This is in contrast to the use of commas and Greek tensor indices which indicate the differentiation of spatial values. The notation for Meijer's G Function may vary among different sources, causing confusion for some.
EngWiPy
Hello,

What are the semicolons in the this Meijer's G Function (picture is attached)? The notation I saw in different books and in the Internet doesn't include semicolons. Do they signify something that is not in the other notations?

Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 509
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Progress in Industrial Mathematics at ECMI 2016, pg 485 footnote 1
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=3319630822

1Greek tensor indices indicate the full range of spacetime values, whereas Latin will only refer to the spatial values. Comma and semicolon are standard notation for partial and covariant derivatives, respectively. For scalars, partial and covariant derivitives are identical.

Actually, I know nothing about this, I just did a Google search for: semicolon in Meijer's G Function

Cheers,
Tom

Likes mfb
Thanks, but this is very generic. I am looking for something specific for the Meijer's G function because of different notation uses that is causing me confusion.

1. What is Meijer's G-Function notation?

Meijer's G-Function notation is a mathematical notation used to represent special functions that were first introduced by Cornelis Johannes van der Lek in the 1930s. It is named after the mathematician Eugen Meijer, who further developed and popularized the notation in the 1940s.

2. What are the main characteristics of Meijer's G-Function notation?

Meijer's G-Function notation is a type of hypergeometric function that is used to represent complex integrals and solutions to differential equations. It is characterized by its use of two parameters, a and b, which determine the types of functions involved in the notation.

3. What are the advantages of using Meijer's G-Function notation?

Meijer's G-Function notation has several advantages, including its ability to represent a wide range of special functions, its compact and concise form, and its usefulness in solving complex mathematical problems. It is also widely used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics.

4. What are some common applications of Meijer's G-Function notation?

Meijer's G-Function notation has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in the study of complex variable theory, special functions, and integral transforms. It also has practical applications in areas such as signal processing, probability theory, and statistics.

5. Are there any limitations to using Meijer's G-Function notation?

While Meijer's G-Function notation has many advantages, it also has some limitations. It can be challenging to evaluate, and its use may not always be appropriate for certain types of problems. Additionally, it may not be as well-known or widely used as other mathematical notations, which can make it more difficult to find resources and support for using it.